Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass cabinet comparison

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BlackburstJBP, Oct 7, 2005.

1. Hello to all,my name is Dale and I am new to your site,and I am anxious to join in.I am considering a new bass cabinet.Either an ampeg PR-410HLF or possibly an ampeg 8-10.The 4-10 is ampegs best heavy duty Pro series.I was wondering how much difference in sound there will be between the two since they have close to the same wattage ratings.I have to consider the portability factor on the 8-10.will it be worth the trouble? Thanx...

2. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Well you might get more low end out of the 410 because it is ported where as the 810 is a sealed cab.

If you can go around and try to play through both of em.

If you are set on ampeg, then I would suggest getting the pr410.

-Rob

3. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Hello and welcome! There is a wealth of information and opinion here, though sometimes it can be hard to tell the 2 apart. I can chime in with my opinion, and probably others will too, but the best thing is always to try it out yourself if you can, I might very well love the sound of something you don't like at all.

The 410 in question has a lower frequency response than the 810, so you should get lower lows out of it. If you play a 5 string, your low string may sound better. Some people say an 810 can't handle the low end of a low B string, while other people say that's hogwash. The 810 will have a huge presence (provided your amp is beefy enough) and very strong midrange. An 810 on stage is a very cool thing, if you can transport it.

4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Why not a Bergantino 610? Its a bit smaller than an 810, sounds very much like an Ampeg (I think it comes closer to the vintage 810 than the new 810s do) and handles lows very well. If you must go Ampeg cabs, I'd say the 410. The 810 cannot handle lows at all. But if you use a 4 string, the 810 could work. But even then I'd have to say the 410 sounds better.

5. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    The transportability of the 8x10 is terrible, but it sounds really good. Really loud and powerful....a total presence. As far as lows out of it....all those numbers and specs don't mean anything....when i was using a 5 string through it...it was ground shaking. Literally, when I first brought my 5 over to practice...the other guys were like...wow neat...yay...whatever...then when I hit the first low B...they all kinda stuttered and gave me the "OH MY GOD" look. It's so unfair that people read a spec/number and make assumptions about things without ever trying them out. The 8x10 handles a low B just fine...no farting out or straining. It's not a "high tech" sounding cab...due to no tweeter, but it does rock and roll with authority! The 4 ohm rating and all those drivers make weaker amplifiers sound more powerful. I'm not a rep for Ampeg/SLM, but I've used it for a long time now. The chink in it's armor is the size and weight. But for that...I'd still play gigs with it. I got a Schroeder to scale down without loosing the power.
    I don't know anything about the 4x10 Ampeg you talked about, so my opinion isn't valid for that cab. I'm willing to bet that it's easier to carry around, though!
    ;)

6. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Personally I think the BXT 4x10 is Ampegs finest cab. Yes, even better than the PR. At least this is what my ears tell me. Don't overlook this cab. It is also more compact than any other Ampeg 4x10 cab.

7. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Which 810 were you using? The vintage SVT 810s sound awesome and have plenty lows, but the newer SVT 810s through experience lack lows. My 5er didn't fart the speakers after I cut the bass some, but even so the low B wasn't as present as I feel it should be.

8. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I just tried out a PR410hlf today for awhile at my local store. They had an SVT4 Pro head there (which is what I use), and I brought along my Modulus Q6 to try through it.

The lows that this thing puts out are amazing. I was very impressed with the lows, even more than my SVT410HLF cab, which I have always thought had good low end. The salesman only hooked up one side of the head to it, I would have preferred to get to put the full power to it, so I could see exactly what it could do. As it was, using only 1 side of the 4 Pro to power it, I wasn't too impressed with its overall volume. It sounded great, very punchy, and the highs were not too harsh. But, from the specs, it is not a very efficient cab to begin with, so I am guessing that it is not going to be an extremely loud cabinet, even with the full power from the amp. I guess I didn't like it enough to justify replacing my current cabinet with it, so my search must go on. :(

The Ampeg 810 is a big, loud cabinet. It does not have the lows of the 410's, but it does put out a decent amount of low end, to my ears, anyway. I have had very limited experience with these cabs, though, so I can't really comment too much about them.

Try to go try them both, and see which one suits your needs the best. They are both heavy, but the 410 will be easier to haul than the big cab. This isn't an issue for me, as my rig is hauled in the trailer with the PA, but if you transport your own rig a lot, this is definitely something to keep in mind.

9. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I have the 8x10E, I believe. I bought it about 6 or 7 years ago. It's not a "classic" or "anniversary" with the silver grill. The Low B string sounds just fine on it...very present. In my opinion, of course. I don't have to boost much bass on my amp or on the guitar itself. I wouldn't want the B string to be any louder as it would be annoyingly loud and overpowering.