Bass Cabinet "Crackle" solved !!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Revv, Apr 8, 2019.

1. For those out there that have a mystery "crackle" in you cab, Here might be the cause.
    Mine started last week in my Mesa PH1000. It was difficult initially to identify the source. At first I followed the Forum recommendations and tried swapping tubes in my head.. No change! The I tried my amp in a different cab.. No crackle. I should have done this first.....note to self! At the recommendation of a trusted forum expert I pulled apart my cab, removed the 15... not the issue, it was one of the 10's. As I was holding the speaker in my hands and touching the cone I was getting the crackle ( amp not plugged in) what I identified was one of the wires that come from the driver into the cone was touching the cone and making that sound!!! simply bend terminal down slightly and problem solved. BTW Mesa Cabs are ridiculously over built. It is a tank! I appreciated all the details and fine craftsmanship :) . Super easy fix for anyone that has the mystery "crackle"

ReVv

2. keyboardguy

keyboardguy Supporting Member

May 11, 2005
    Thanks for sharing. Good to know.....

Revv likes this.
  3. Chippie packet
    Star Wars figurine
    Lolly wrapper

Stuff found behind ported cab driver cones causing buzzing. More usually it's toasted but always worth a look.

S-Bigbottom and webmonster like this.
  4. webmonster

webmonster

May 19, 2013
    New Zealand
    My friends children fed a startling number of crayons into the circular port of a speaker cab. I don't believe this caused any sort of crackle...

Revv likes this.
  5. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    Good that you figured it out.

You have to sweat through a lot of details to track down issues.

Breaking down the problem and looking at one part at a time helps narrow down where the issue is located.

Knowing where to look first is the hard part. Some things are more common so starting there can help. Some things are easy to try, tackling them first also helps.

Revv likes this.
  6. jthisdell

jthisdell

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    I bought a new Berg cab once and when I got home it sounded like a blown driver. Turned out to be a small packing tag that was attached to the driver that was supposed to be removed when installed.

Revv likes this.
  7. I think the take-away from everyone's comments is that 90% of issues can be fixed with just a little investigation and a screwdriver :)

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 28, 2022