Bass cabinet Head matching Q,s

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BlackburstJBP, Oct 9, 2005.

1. Hello all.I am in the process of snagging an ampeg PR-410 Hlf cabinet.It is rated program 1200 watts and RMS handling 600 watts @ 4 ohms.I need to get a power head next.Do I need a head with the same output? is less OK? I was thinking about the SVTpro 3 head rated at RMS 450 @ 4 ohms.Would that be a good match? Or do I need a bigger head? I,m a bit confused, any opinions are welcome.Thanks!
  2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

That cabinet is stating it's a 4 ohm cabinet and it can handle 600watts RMS all day with peaks as high as 1200 watts.

So... if you look at the RMS and Peak output of any head you are checking out @ 4 ohms, you'll get an idea of how close a match it is.

Also, most of the specs put out are generalizations... and a lot of manufactures put their own spin on them, so take them with a grain of salt.

I think the SVTpro 3 and the PR-410 hlf should match up fine.

Keep in mind, if the head can't do less than 4 ohms then you won't be able to add another speaker cabinet if you need one.
  3. Would the SVT pro 4 be a better choise?
  4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    The wattage doesn't really matter all that much as long as you know when to stop turning up. The head and the cab would work fine, but that said many have had issues with the 3-Pro being too quiet. I'd suggest the 4-Pro if you feel you need to go with Ampeg, but there are other options out there as well (many of which I would consider much better than either the 3 or 4 pro).
  5. What do you guys recomend for the forementioned cabinet?Possible a G K 1001RB ?
  6. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    First off, unless you are getting a major killer deal on the cab I'd suggest you get a different cab. As for the head, maybe a Traynor YBA-200, or if you like the Ampeg sound a SVT-CL or 2-Pro (both of which are expensive) or maybe a Fender Bassman Pro 300. Those are all amps which sound the way I like, but you really have to try the heads yourself. The GK ahs a completely different sound from anything Ampeg. You have to decide what you want.