1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

bass cabinet modification

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mikaelod, Dec 30, 2006.

1. mikaelod

mikaelod

Dec 17, 2006
    ive just buyed a peavey cabinet 1820 and its big. its like 27*20*36 in. so i want to remove 2 -4 inches in deepness to fit it im the back of my car. if i do this will i do affect the sound of the cab too much ?

2. Warr Tapper

Warr Tapper Banned

Sep 17, 2006
    Work
    don't do it. Try doing some research before buying, to avoid these problems.

3. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    If you do that, It will wreck any kind of engineering Peavey put into the cab to tune and port it correctly. Do not do it.
    -Alex

4. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

What he said...

- georgestrings

5. Every speaker driver requires a particular volume of air to perform well.

You will change the response of the cab if you change the size. You will more than likely lose bass response but gain a little mechanical power handling. Since many manufacurers make boxes that are smaller than ideal for the drivers already this just sounds like a bad idea. Sell the cab and get one that you can transport.

6. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    A smaller box will cost bass response but it won't add to power handling. LF excursion at a particular power level will be lessened, yes, but as excursion is limited so is output. To get the same output from a smaller box you need even more excursion, and more power to get it.

7. Thank you for the clarification. That though occured to me a while back and I forgot about it. DOH! Well if I didn't make mistakes that needed clarification where would we be? :D

8. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    It's a common misconception. You'd be surprised how many people think that making a box smaller to limit excursion is a good idea. It's usually a knee-jerk reaction on seeing how excursion jumps below fb, and how a smaller box seems to help. The solution, of course, is that you don't run a box below fb.

9. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    All of these people are telling you not to do it, based on the problems that will be caused once the cabinet is made smaller. That's a best case scenario anyway; do you actually have the equipment and expertise needed to take the cab apart and cut it evenly, perfectly, so that it will fit back together perfectly, with no gaps, rattles, or buzzes caused by the surgery? Of course if you somehow do, then you will end up with a cab that is too small and doesn't sound right.

You bought the cab cheap, right? Now you know why it was cheap. It's not a terrible cabinet - if you have a truck.