Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Cabinet Showdown - 2X10 Edition

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by schmittuml, Feb 12, 2006.

1. schmittuml

schmittuml Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2004
    Lowell, MA
    In an effort to bring together reviews and comparisons between cabinets of the same type, I have decided to start what I call Bass Cabinet 2006. In these following threads, I think we should all post reviews of the cabinets we have used in our rigs. Now I am starting these threads not having tried every type of cab out there, but I think it would help the community, from veterans to newcomers alike to get easy access to information on cabinets they are looking for.

To establish some sort of rule, Lets have a set of categories to review on:

Price:
    Weight:
    Pros:
    Cons:
    Construction:
    Sound/Tone:
    Overall:

I think this will help everyone answer their cab questions out there, and be a great reference point for many questions.

On the Low End,
    Brian Schmitt.

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Tom Bowlus has an extensive 2x10 shootout on his blog. Check it out.

3. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    my amp: <br>[​IMG]

i haven't owned any other cabs t ocompare it to... but when compared with all of the cabs i tried in stores when shopping around, this one is by far as good or better than most. it cost around $270, plus shipping ($29). it gets tremendous lows for a 2x10, due to the larger magnets on the kappa pro speakers. it can handle about 1000 watts, which is much more than my swr workingpro 400 can put out. it sounds clear as day, and really cuts through. i don't have a single complaint as far as tone.

i play most genres of music through it, and it responds great to slap, fingerstyle, tapping and all effects i've used.

sound wise, its an amazing bang for your buck. feature wise, its basic, which isnt bad. standard recessed handles, and the looks aren't KILLER, but then again, its an amp, who cares? looks like a speaker box to me. on the back is a speakon as well as 1/4 inch jacks for daisy chaining and amp hookup. the tweeter level control is also on the back.

the cab is also plenty loud, easily filling up most small-medium gigs with 100-400 people. outdoors, you would need a second cab, but keep in mind mine is only a 8 ohm AND i'm only putting 250 watts into it. if you had an amp pumping 1,000 watts, it could be much different.

overall, this cab is a great purchase, definitely worth every penny. it easily out classes more expensive amps, and is especially great for us "non pro" musicians who shouldn't have to spend/don't want to spend every penny they've earned on a quality product. i would most definitely purchase another if stolen, and plan on making mine a full stack by adding a 1 15 from avatar in the future.

as far as customer service, i haven't had any need thus far, and i've played multiple gigs and plenty of practices with no problems. i sopke with dave, the owner, when ordering, and he was extremely helpful and the delivery was prompt, well packed, and in perfect condition. it is relatively light weight and portable, which is very important to me.

definitely a class A buy... keep them in mind next time you're ordering.