Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Cabinet Showdown - 4X10 Edition

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by schmittuml, Feb 12, 2006.

1. schmittuml

schmittuml Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2004
    Lowell, MA
    In an effort to bring together reviews and comparisons between cabinets of the same type, I have decided to start what I call Bass Cabinet 2006. In these following threads, I think we should all post reviews of the cabinets we have used in our rigs. Now I am starting these threads not having tried every type of cab out there, but I think it would help the community, from veterans to newcomers alike to get easy access to information on cabinets they are looking for.

To establish some sort of rule, Lets have a set of categories to review on:

Price:
    Weight:
    Pros:
    Cons:
    Construction:
    Sound/Tone:
    Overall:

I think this will help everyone answer their cab questions out there, and be a great reference point for many questions.

On the Low End,
    Brian Schmitt.

2. Hartke TP410
    Price: Paid 245.00 new
    Weight: ~60lbs
    Pros: Great started cab, decent lows, good mids
    Cons: almost glassy highs, heavy no horn/tweeter
    Construction: Basic ply with pine bracing, 4 aluminum cone drivers, inset steel grille, inset bar handles on the side
    Sound/Tone: see pros and cons
    Overall: ill use it till it dies, its great for a first rig and pretty versitile in tone

3. opivy3056

opivy3056 Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    Price: $299
    Weight:85 lbs
    Pros: Great punch and response, awesome value.
    Cons:Lacks low end, harsh horn, front heavy.
    Construction: extremely solid. (metal grille is awesome)
    Sound/Tone: Punchy, articulate, sounds great if you use horn at low settings. Lacking a little bit in the low end.
    Overall: I love everything about it but wish it retained the low end better.

4. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

Price: $431 shipped USD

Weight: 65lbs

Pros: Great light weight 4x10. First 4x10 I've ever had that didn't require two guys to carry it. Can't beat the price for this cab. Construction looks top notch, and it sounds huge.

Cons: I haven't found any yet.

Construction: Very solid. Comparable to all bass cabs I've seen. From Avatars website: "The cab is made from superior 3/4 inch 13 PLY voidless Baltic Birch PLYWOOD with rabbet and dado interlocking sidejoints for extreme strength. The cabinet is covered in black carpet, has protective corners, large recessed steel bar handles, full face steel diamond pattern expanded metal grill, front slot port, steel input panel with one Speakon connector and dual 1/4 inch in/out jacks."

Sound/Tone: Excellent! This thing is tight and punchy and has a full low end. Has no trouble with the B string on my Carvin LB75F.

Overall: Probably the best buy in all the bass gear I've ever gotten! I just purchased this a couple of weeks ago so I have the new updated crossover. I think it does a great job. I haven't used it in a gig setting yet, but I expect it to outperform everything I have owned to date.

5. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Peavey TVX410

Price: $498 USD

Weight: 96lbs

Pros: Great sound and solid construction. I was never a real big fan of Peavey until I got this cab. Sounds really solid.
    Cons: HEAVY AS A MOFO

Construction: Very solid. I'm a big boy and I stood on this thing to change a light bulb. A buddy of mine has one and he dropped it from the bed of his truck and only scratched the outside!
    Sound/Tone: Great! This cab is very punchy and paired with a decent head, it has great tone.
    Overall: I really like this cab alot. The weight is a huge drawback; but to tell you the truth for a promise of solid construction, and great tone and volume. I'll overlook the weight.

Website: www.peavey.com, http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Bass/Amps?sku=601379

6. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    SWR Goliath III

Price: $550
    Weight: Heavy
    Pros: Very clear and defined tone. You like slapping? This is your cab.
    Cons: Scooped character makes it only OK for classic rock.
    Construction: Very solid, rattle free
    Sound/Tone: See above
    Overall: I want another one.