Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bass cabinets + amp heads

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by z4knerd, Dec 12, 2004.

1. z4knerd

z4knerd

Jul 1, 2004
    Im curious to know for when I buy a bass cabinet and an amp head for it - ive noticed descriptions for both products stating the wattage and ohms, and I was wondering -

When I buy this equipment, how can I make sure the amp head is compatible with the cabinet in terms of the wattage and ohms?

2. rusmannx

rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    first, this thread should probably be in the AMPS section.

second, to answer your question....
    it should say on the amp. if it doesn't, just tell us what head your looking to get and someone will be able to tell you what it is.

3. If you're buying only one cab, You should try to match it's impedance (# of Ohms) to the lowest impedance the amp head will support. If you plan to eventually use two cabs, then each cab should be rated for twice as many Ohms as your amp head can handle. If you have questions about specific models, ask here like someone else mentioned. It's pretty easy to match cabs to heads in this reguard. With most amps, it's safe to assume that one 4 Ohm cab or two 8 Ohm cabs will work well. This may be over-simplifying the matter, but it's a good place to start.

As far as watts, opinions vary. Some suggest trying to match the total watts of all cabs to your amp, others say you should use an amp with twice as much power as your cabs are rated for. There's lots of information on this in the Amps forum, and I'm sure others will chime in with their opinions.

[edit]
    Here's a cool post about Ohms and whatnot that I just came across when browsing the amps forum.

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Moved to amps.