Bass Cabinets Configs Pro's & Con's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by icstarz2, Oct 6, 2017.

1. icstarz2

icstarz2

Jun 7, 2017
    Hello Everyone. So I've had a little Fender Rumble 15 for a while now and Its been a great practice amp and its performed alright the few times I've played in a small venue, but I've want to get a bigger amp for a while and I've done some research on Combos vs Cabs and Heads. I think I want to go with the Cabinet and head combo especially because I'm planning on making the Cab on my own and I think I'll be able to save the money on labor and get better quality parts.

So now it comes down to what config should I go with? 4x8, 4X10, 2X15 etc. I know a lot of it comes down to price and the style of music that I want to play. I really love that old motown funk/soul sound, but that's not the most important thing. I'm looking for all your advice and wisdom when it comes to speaker brand, drive config/layout, and any advice you want to pass on as I under take this process.

Thanks in advanced I always appreciate any and all feedback.

2. Don't forget to look at 12" speakers. They are the new 10s, they are the new 15s.

Larger diameter does not necessarily equate to more bass. Smaller diameter diameter does not necessarily equate to more mid/high.

Building from scratch with the goal of having something as good or better than store bought AND saving money, doesn't always pan out.

Build from someone else's plans or learn to use cabinet modeling software. Get cozy with Thiele/Small parameters.

Let us know how it's going. We like pictures.

Have fun.

3. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Check out: Custom DIY 2x15 cab build

Try searching for Starliner. Lots of relate build thread.

Two Vertically stacked cabs are the trend. Two 2x12 should get it done. One to start would be good to start.

Check out Revsound and Barefaced Bass for the options they offer. Revsound is pretty reasonable.

4. Some additional information will help us help you.

1) What is your budget?

2) What amps do your guitarists use?

3) Do you play with a drummer?

4) Any limitations with moving or transporting your equipment?

And some info.

Many players find a single 112 or 115 driven by 200 - 500w more than adequate.

If you live in or can get to a medium-large city, you'll likely be able to get a lot more for your money buying used, than buying new (head) and building (cab).

Stumbo likes this.