bass cabs as hi-fi speakers...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Magman, Jun 3, 2002.

1. I ran my cd player through my bass amp (set flat) and avatar 2x10 cab the other day, just to see what it sounded like, and test out some sine tones on it. sounded surprisingly good! Basically, a crisp and clear PA cabinet.
    Despite the mono output, I was so surpised I started playing all sorts of music through it because the 'oomph' in the bass and lower mids was so difference that typical (cheap I guess) home hi-fi set ups I'm used to.
    It was like "oh.....*this* is how rock music is supposed to sound!" - the drums and bass guitar really come across really well. I started hearing more details in the music (presumably with the extra volume). And my own electronic-industrial music: I could really start to hear what it would sound like in a club and it really came alive.
    ...and all this from some cheap bass cab????

I'm sure the sound isn;t flat, I;ve havn;t a/bed with my reasonably infiniti hi-fi speakers, or my Grado labs headphones (which are very good) and I'm sure problems would be revealed...
    but they don't have the 'balls' , as it were (and of course you don;t want to go loud on headphones)
    Oviously the bass cab is overkill for home use, unless you like tinnitus - barely have to turn up to be at listening volume - though that means it just eats up bass freqs and spits them out, no matter how extreme the music.

...Still, I'm now thinking - why would I spend money on expensive hi-fi bookshelf cabs when you can get hi quality PA cabs and a 200watt power amp that really kick, and feel very solid even at low volumes.
    the avatar did not immediatley scream 'mush' or 'harsh' with music put through it. It sorted of said "hey...turn me time!!!" ;-)
    I can;t wait till theres real justification for getting a second cab and then I run it properly in stereo from a hi-fi amp. ;-) ---- part of me thinking "this isn;t hi-fi" but the rest of me going "yeah, but its FUN!"

does anyone here do such double or triple duty with their PA or bass rigs? I'm sure a pair of boutique full range high end cab would sound pretty great.

2. oddentity

oddentity Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    I've listened to lots of CDs through my band's PA (2 Yamaha S115-IV cabs) -- it sounds awesome!
  3. I don't know about using bass cab's as full-range stereo speakers...

but my SWR Basic Black hooked up as the Sub Woofer on my 5.1 theater surround kicks major butt.
  4. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    kinda OT:

but yesterday, we watched Raiders of the Lost Ark on VHS and Crouching Tiger / Hidden Dragon on DVD using our PA, and tho we thought it'd be earth shakin', in all honesty, it sounded weak especially in the bass. had to tweak the heck outta it to get something usable. and there was alot of noise in ths signal. real bummer. we were expecting a larger than life sound. :(

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I use my Clarus/Euphonic Audio VL108 as a mini PA for Jazz, and It sounds better than almost any PA I have used yet! It sounds incredibly natural and clear.
  6. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    My old Acme cabs pull some duty as P.A. moniters
    in one of the bands I play in....sound great!
  7. I like to use my B3158s as subs for my computer. When I use the headphone out into the instrument input, it's cool. Turn up the bass. And I use my normal computer speakers for definition. Cool stuff.
  8. I use my amp as a sub and my computer speakers for definition when i watch tv or a video and it really sounds nice. Have to keep the volume on the low side.