Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass cabs in your car?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Discgraham, Sep 23, 2005.

1. Hey everyone!

Well I bought an Aguilar GS112 a few weeks ago. It's been residing in my cars trunk for the most part. Anyways, I was changing the CDs in my trunk when my friend walked up and saw the GS112 in there and said "Whoa! Sick sub!". I just gave him a thumbs up and a grin, but the wheels were already turning. How cool would it be to have an Aguilar system in your car?!

So anyways, has anyone ever rigged up some kind of system to use a bass cab with your car sterio? I assume you could hook it up to an external amp, but what would the result be? Would it be safe for the cab?

2. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Somebody just shoot me now...

3. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    you'd have extremely loud midbass and mids, but good luck dragging sub 50hz frequencies out of a single 12" speaker with a 102dB sensitivity without extreme distortion, overexcursion, and gobs of EQ.

4. chrisb7601

chrisb7601

Aug 30, 2005
  5. ding ding ding ding ding ding ding!

But seriously, it would be kinda cool. Get some serious noise on your way to the gig, then grab the cab and play, then plug it back into your car and go home.
    :p

6. weeks82

weeks82

Oct 10, 2001
    Southern NH
    I once drove around with an Ampeg 8x10 in my station wagon. It was loud as all hell and definetely turned some heads. The amp couldn't take it for long though.

7. thedoctor

thedoctor

Jun 20, 2005
    This is SOOOOO embarassing!!! When they load the last of the cabs in our trailer, I have them put the Hartke XL215 in the back of the Mazda MPV we tow with the grill towards the rear door. I have a cord from the Sony Xplode deck back there to plug in and make some really sick bass. Beer-runs have never been more fun but the Memphis Sound subs still make BETTER noise as has been pointed out before. Car audio is kinda a differant beast and has no place on stage. Oh, IMHO.
    Wow, two posts on almost the same topic! Sorry about the reference to car audio speakers. Some of them ROCK!