Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bass cabs vs. PA speaker(loudspeakers)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bigBbass451, Jul 24, 2005.

1. bigBbass451

bigBbass451

Apr 9, 2004
    Hey everyone. I was just wonderring if anybody here at TB has ever considerred using or does use a PA speaker (loudspeaker) instead of using a standard bass cab. I currently play through an ampeg 410HE. I want to be able to move more air and the thoughts of just using a PA speaker has crossed my mind a few times. I've mainly been looking at a Carvin 1588(2x15 2x8 and a horn). I was just wonderring if anybody's ever tried this and what kind of results they've had. THANKS!!! and ROCK ON :bassist:

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Most of the guys here have played through PA speakers, everytime they send a signal to a PA console. By and large PA speakers large enough to handle full FOH duties sound a lot better than backline cabs, but they also tend to be a lot bigger, bigger than most of us want to carry about. They also tend to be a lot louder than most really need for adequate stage volume, but to each their own.