1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Cabs..Which is Best?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tabufx50, Mar 7, 2008.

1. tabufx50

tabufx50

May 9, 2007
    OK I've been sifting through this site and I wanted to get opinions on good live amps for bass.

----------------------------------
    Which is your favorite Bass Amp?
    ----------------------------------

I myself have played live for many years and have found that playing through an amp that can handle the road and never even give you any grief, is the amp that I like and want to use.

I like to set my amp up at a gig and just play..I want the bass to be loud and clear and allow me to control dynamics.

So having said that, I've found that although SWR, Mesa Impulse and Eden may have good tube sounds and sound great in the studio or small places, they seem to suffer a little when it comes to live and filling the room.

I've found that amps like Gallien and Ampeg and Randall, all have this ability to just push the bass tone to the place where it should be in the band. Maybe its the solid state of these guys, but they just seem to sound more like an amp that was designed for bass!

Thoughts people..bassists whaddda ya think?

Richy J

2. Are you asking about cabs or heads? It sounds like you might be the type of guy that would be better off with the headroom and power (not to mention road durability) a nice PA amp would offer. With a good preamp and possibly a compressor you would have all the character, dynamic control, and power you seem to be seeking.

3. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Way too vague. If you want answers that are actually helpful to you, you'll need to get a lot more specific. Also, what's good for one player is garbage for the next guy. Asking "what's your favorite" won't actually give you any kind of useful info for you.

Let us know your budget, your genre(s), whether weight or size matters to you, and whether you want an all-in-one head or are willing to rack up some components.

FWIW I agree that a PA power amp combined with the preamp of your choice is a very good option.