bass cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassman0213, Jul 21, 2002.

1. bassman0213

Jul 21, 2002
    im buying an swr mo bass 2 amp head, but i need to buy a cab first. this will be my first non-practice amp amp. so my question is, should i get a single 15-inch speaker, or 4-8 inch speakers, or what? im lost! im also new to this forum thing, so if someone could teach me what all this junk is, id appriciate it! :confused:
  2. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Hi bassman0213. Welcome to Talkbass and the wonderful world of the low end.

I'm not sure what the power output of the Mo Bass is but I think that the single 10" would be pretty unsatisfactory. Probably in that price range I would look at a single 15" along the lines of the Bag End S15-D. You'd get much more low end and much better power handling.
  3. PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    according to the SWR website the Mo' Bass head is 900 Watts mono @ 4ohms i think.
    Thats pretty serious wattage. You'll need at least a 4x10.
    Maybe an SWR goliath 3. Maybe even 2 of them. Or you could really go nuts and get an 8x10 like The SWR megoliath.
  4. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    If you use one cab, 4 ten-inch speakers is the most popular configuration. The cost and weight of a 4x10 depends on the brand and where you buy it.

If you use effects, though (and I'm guessing you do, otherwise why would you have bought a mo' bass?) they can sometimes take the low end out of your sound (especially distortion, which can make your bass rig sound like a guitar amp.) One cool feature on the mo' bass is the ability to pan FX to one channel of the poweramp. If you run it in stereo, with one speaker for highs and one for lows, you can keep the low end pure but still use FX.

Don't worry about finding a speaker that can handle 900 watts. You can probably get enough power just using one channel of the mo' bass. If you can only afford one cab, and it can't be anything huge like the megoliath, try the SWR Goliath III (4x10). If you want two speakers, you might be better off with a goliath jr. (2x10) stacked on a son of bertha (1x15.) Neither one is that good by itself, but they can be amazing when you put them together. If money and weight are no object, buy a megoliath (8x10) cab. You can run this mono as an 8x10, or in stereo as if it were two separate 4x10's.
  5. str8nnarrow

Aug 5, 2002
    I'm selling a practically new SWR Megalith. Only used twice. and for only $850!! Think about it. It's still under warranty and everything, I'm sure it'll sound great with your amp.