Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Camp

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Jaswine85, Mar 2, 2003.

1. Does anyone know of any bass camps besides Wooten's? His schedule for camp time is always during school, so i cant go. Are there any good summer bass camps? Thanks

J

2. You could try the Berklee college of music summer sessions, there is a five week summer program and the summer bass weekend (which i did last summer). The bass weekend is a cool experiencce and you learn ALOT in just three days. The teachers of the summer bass weekend when i went were Bruce Gertz, Oscar Stagnaro, Rich Appleman, and even Jeff Berlin were there just to name a few. It was a good program and there were alot of differnt classes like theory and small group ensemble in the style of music of your choice with 8-10 other bassist in your group:eek:

It was a blast, I suggest you check it out

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I've often wondered if people that apply to vic's camp that are under 18 have a lesser chance of getting in because it is scheduled while school is in session....I would hate if that were the case because my school actually has a week of hiking and nature courses the same time the wootcamp is, and if I were to be accepted then I would be allowed to go.

4. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I just got back from it, I can't recommend it enough.

Workshops and master classes with Victor Bailey and Gary Willis and Machalei Manring, which pretty much means you hang out with them the whole weekend. Brian Bromberg also stopped by as well as Vicrot Wooten, and we met Jimmy Haslip of the Yellow Jackets show. Pretty amazing.

In addition, I had a private lesson with Michael Manring that was just the most helpful thing I have had in years. I came to the camp wanting to learn, not just be in the presence of greatness. I got more than i bargained for!!!!!!

I recorded almost everything, and soon will be sharing some of the performances.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I don't know if this is the case in the US - but in the UK, Universities and colleges get grants to fund adult learning and the concept of "Continuing Education/Learning".

So the Science Summerschool I attended at Sussex University along with my regular Jazz classes on Saturday are funded by this initiative.

So this does means - no under-18s!

[not sure what smiley to put by that?]

6. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    How diplomatic of you. I would've gone for a big fat grinning one - :D

7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    National Guitar Workshop has bass courses. My daughter went to the Blues Bass Seminar (week-long session) last year and enjoyed it a lot.

http://guitarworkshop.com/

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well..... I have been to the same one at the University of Glamorgan, 5 years running and will be going again at the end of July !! :D

9. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Was she at the CT campus? I was teaching there that week

Mike Dimin

10. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Really? Why haven't you mentioned it before...? :D

11. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    BTW, I'll be teaching at the CT Campus of the National Guitar Workshop during "jazz week" this year. Week six - August 4th - 10th.

Mike