1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Candy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by herndonbassist, Apr 3, 2006.

1. herndonbassist

herndonbassist Low Down Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    Thought you all might like to see the Cocobolo knobs that I just added to my G&L SB-2. My buddy has a custom amp cabinet company, and floated these my way...

[​IMG]

2. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Classy!!!!!!

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Im going to hope your bass has a rosewood board, otherwise itd look funny.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I kinda like it! Even though I usually love chrome knobs just fine.

5. herndonbassist

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    Thanks... I usually prefer chrome too, but wanted to show my support! I am kinda diggin them though.

Oh and BTW, the board is Maple, and it doesn't look wierd at all!
    :hyper:

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Well i spose they match the burst, kinda.

7. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    They clash with the black pg. I'll bet it makes the bass sound better though.

8. jim1457

jim1457

Mar 29, 2006
    Honolulu Hawaii
    Isn't anyone else offended at "globaltrees.org" for jumping in with that link??? Those knobs are beautiful, but they would try to make you feel guilty about it.

I wonder how many million of those knobs could be made from just one tree. And how many of those trees are actually used in musical instruments as opposed to just being wasted when land gets cleared. :eyebrow: I think they ought to focus thier efforts a little better and leave musicians alone. Supply and demand will keep the price of exotic wood high enough.

I know this is politically incorrect, but don't get me wrong. If they live in the woods and ride horses, that's one thing... If they live in houses and drive cars, they're HIPPOCRITES!!!!! :spit:

Sorry, I couldn't help myself... Actually .. NOT SORRY!!:spit:

9. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I am entirely pleased with that globaltrees link, and I'm glad they're on the job. Note that part of their mission is to identify and support sustainable alternatives- so they're not just saying "you can't have fancy wood instruments", they are saying "some fancy woods are sustainable and some are not". Also note that "sustainable" really means what it is- if we continue to use up exotic woods without thought for how that wood species will survive, then there will be no more of that particular wood for bassists in the future. Already many exotic trees have been driven extinct or in danger of extinction, so this is not a hippie fantasy, it is hard reality. But here's the thing- there ARE sustainable alternatives! And if people in the industry get educated about it, perhaps we can come up with ways to farm all of the exotic woods in a sustainable way.

10. doormatt

doormatt

Apr 8, 2005
    jim1457, I totally agree. We put trees to great use compared to newspapers and other things that cause excessive amounts of trees to be cut down.

I think those knobs are great! Do they enhance the tone at all?

11. herndonbassist

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    They enhance the mental tone :-D

Like I stated before, I thought it was cool that my buddy had these to offer, so I had him send me some, as a show of my support in his business. I think that they look pretty cool, but if they were from anyone else, the G&L would probably be wearing chrome.

They are pretty snazzy though, and totally frivolous.