Bass Capo

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by heretic, May 2, 2005.

1. I'm ordering a few things from Musician's Friend and I need some help finding a capo that will work with bass. I've heard some of them are too small (don't stretch across all the strings). Can anyone reccomend on for me? Has to be from MF.

2. I've seen him use one on a 4-string.
  3. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
  4. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    I've used that model a couple times on my Warwicks. It took a little time to get it in just the right spot but it worked fine for me.
  5. munificent

Mar 15, 2005
    I thought capos were popular for guitar because of the whole "more strings than fingers" problem, and needing to finger all six strings at the same time. Is there an advantage it gives you to use one on bass?
  6. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    It's just for transposition, usually. I use one often of my 12-string, but don't on bass. It's sad that, even though I play my 12-string more than I play my bass, now, I'm only mediocre on it. I tell everyone. that I play bass, but I play AT everything else. I have lost a lot of steps on bass, but I'm still better at bass than guitar or keys.

*heavy heavy sigh*
  7. teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I just use an ordinary Dunlop 6-string capo.
  8. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    I've never had a problem with the regular ol' Kyser guitar ones...on four strings. If you play 5+, you might have a problem.
  9. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I know this isn't the answer you're going to want, but nothing helps your transposing skills like seeing the band leader capo a song AFTER the charts have been made and handed out. (Just before the start of the song, no less!)

Keeps you on your toes. :)
  10. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Shubb all the way. I use a 12 string that spans across all my 4 string basses. Shubb will custom make one for wider necks. I prefer these over the spring loaded ones that weaken over time with the strings' tension.