1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass care and cleaning

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassManMike73, Jan 1, 2012.

1. BassManMike73

BassManMike73

Apr 20, 2011
    Portage, MI
    I've never put much effort into properly caring for my basses, besides regular string changes and dusting. But now I'm starting to get nicer guitars and proper care is something I need to work on. What do you guys do to take care of your basses? Regular care schedules?

2. BassManMike73

BassManMike73

Apr 20, 2011
    Portage, MI
    Anybody?

3. Same rules apply as for guitars. Not that guitars and bass guitars handle a lot of abuse. As long as they are not stored in bright sunlight or other nasty conditions where the neck starts to warp.

4. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    other than seasonal neck adjustments, i dont do much else. the fretboard on one of my fenders is in need of an oiling, but thats about it. my main bass has dust, dead skin and rust on the bridge/pole pieces and could use a thorough cleaning, but it might mess with that mojo that it had. i think i heard something about James Jamerson never cleaned his p-bass and the fretboard was all dirty and grimy, and how he was asked by someone why and responded "the gunk is where the funk is at". it could have been some other bassist.

5. jordak

jordak

Apr 7, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Use this to polish the body and back of the neck Music Nomad - All in 1 Guitar Cleaner, Polish & Wax Every time you change strings. Wipe until dry with a microfiber guitar cloth.

Use lemon oil on rosewood fingerboards or the above polish for maple/ebony - again when you change strings. Wipe until dry with a microfiber guitar cloth.

Wipe down everything with a dry cloth after each time you play, especially underneath the strings.

:bassist:

6. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    I use a cloth, sewn together by 3 old women in Peru and blessed by the Pope to clean off my strings after each use. Change strings? What an odd concept. :) I like 'em flat and warm.

7. BassManMike73

BassManMike73

Apr 20, 2011
    Portage, MI
    lol

8. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Clean it. Wipe the strings down after I play it.

9. BassManMike73

BassManMike73

Apr 20, 2011
    Portage, MI
    Wow, thanks for that link, I'll be ordering some ASAP :)

10. jordak

jordak

Apr 7, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I work in the guitar department of a music store. One day we got a phone call from the distributor of that stuff and he was going on about what a "revolutionary" polish that is. My department manager hears something like this about everything that the distribution is pushing so he was rolling his eyes not expecting much.

After he tried it out, it became the main stuff we use in the store to clean the instruments there and I bought my own bottle for my stuff at home. It doesn't leave streaks and it works with any finish.

Unfortunately, the pump bottles that it comes in may die long before you use the bottle up.

The in store guitar tech is also a fan of it - damn good polish.

11. bassmastan

bassmastan Guest

Jun 25, 2011
    Where can I get myself one of those ?

12. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    I have to wonder if that's not Dan's Speed Clean, a white-ish polish that cleans plastics remarkably. He sells it for use on Radio Control car's Lexan bodies.

speedclean.us

I use it!

13. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    i clean my bass every 12th day of never.

14. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

True. Of course, Jamerson also thought that only a sissy would play with more than one finger.

15. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Lemon oil is good for cleaning but eventually dries out your fretboard. Better bore oil, boiled linseed, or another oil recommended for wooden instruments.

I live in a very dry place, so the effects are exaggerated, and very easy to see.

16. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    yeah, but i have selective hearing when it comes to certain things that other players say;)
    i've heard/read things from bassist that i dont even listen to that made me open my eyes to different aspects of playing, and there's been times that my bass heroes have said things that make me think "huh?"

17. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    Sadly, the Holy Muskox from which they gathered the hair died, so mine is the last.

18. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

Wipe it down after use.

Clean gunky fretboard with naptha and then oil it. I use tung oil (not tung oil finish that dries hard).

Every now and then use a good auto polish - the new polymer ones work really well, and use ONLY microfiber cloths that won't scratch your finish.

In between polishings, a spritz of Lemon Pledge (put it on the cloth) works wonders on the body, plastic and chrome.

19. EvilE

EvilE

Dec 17, 2011
    I've thought about carrying those little alcohol wipes in my case and using them on the strings after my weekly jam night. Or maybe cottonballs and a little vodka. I think all the Cheetos spooge is coloring my sound even though I wipe my fingers on the guitarists couch pretty regularly.

20. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    Try wiping your hands off the actual guitarist. Their ability to attract attention also removes dirt from hands and feet.