1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Care: cleaning & polishing

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bnote, Apr 18, 2010.

1. bnote

bnote

Jan 24, 2010
    I recently purchased a Peavey Grind 5 string bass and was wondering if anyone had some good cleaning tips...what is a good substitute (eg. lemon oil cleaners) for commercial products? The bass has a mahogany neck through design with imbuya (aka...brazilian walnut) wings making its body.....because of its dark/rich looking wood content it was suggested that I simply use furniture polish but I suspect long term use would eventually cause serious damage....advice on this and other aspects of bass care appreciated

2. PCR

PCR

Apr 11, 2008
    I use Virtuoso Polish and Virtuoso Cleaner.

I swear the Polish is just Mothers California Gold Pure Carnauba Wax. Looks the same, feels the same and even smells the same.

I still have one more bottle of V Polish left, but I think I'm just going to use Mothers from now on.

3. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Best cleaning and polishing depends on what kind of finish is on the instrument. Is it an oil finish? Gloss finish? Satin?

4. PrietoBass

PrietoBass How does he do that?

Apr 16, 2009
    I just wipe it down with a microfiber cloth after each session.

5. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Murphy's oil soap is good for cleaning basses with an oil based finish. It won't dry out the wood. You can follow it up with a coat of lemon oil if you like.

You can also use Lemon Pledge.