1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass Case Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Accessories [DB]' started by SRawl, Nov 2, 2018.

1. SRawl

SRawl

Oct 5, 2018
    Jonesboro, AR
    I currently have a Bell Fina case. I was pleased with the quality for a few years but pockets and handles break and tear (worn down from traveling frequently). I need a case that can go through a lot of wear and be able to hold a reasonable amount of music/chords; preferably something with leather (or fake leather). Any suggestions?

2. Earl

Earl Supporting Member

Mooradian or Messina.

Phil Rowan, salcott and SRawl like this.
  3. Mooradian. It’ll last you for decades.

SRawl and Earl like this.
  4. SRawl

SRawl

Oct 5, 2018
    Jonesboro, AR
    Just looked up both of these brands and both seem great! Mooradian has a 6 year warranty, but the Messina has a lifetime warranty. Are there any cons to either brand I should be aware of?

5. I’ve never touched a Messina, but I own three Mooradians.

SRawl and salcott like this.
  6. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    Mooradian all the way for me. The top of the line model has protected five basses for me over the last 35 years of subway travel, comes in enough sizes to fit almost any bass, and I’ve never worn one out.

SRawl and Max George like this.
  7. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    My first Messina lasted me about 12 years, when the long zipper finally gave out, I decided what the hell, just check out a different bag. Big mistake; after the first handle ripped off within 3 months AND the second within a year PLUS it weighed a ton, I couldn't WAIT to get my new Messina. I've already asked Jed to send a tracing of my new bass (when it's finished) to Messina, so I'll have the bag when I go to pick it up.

SRawl likes this.
  8. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

???!!!
    Details?
    Thanks.

SRawl likes this.
  9. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    3/4, violin corner, carved lion's head scroll, removable neck, all by Jed Kriegel...
    Jed Kriegel, Luthier
    IMG_7988. IMG_7989.

10. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Oh, except the scroll carving, that's being done by Sten Havumaki...

11. Mgaisbacher

Mgaisbacher Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2012
    Nashville, TN
  12. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Yeah, Marshall Wood as in the shop and saw the finished body as well....

13. SRawl

SRawl

Oct 5, 2018
    Jonesboro, AR
    I'm going to go with a Messina, the price is more affordable and the quality seems to be about on par with the Mooradian. Thanks for all the suggestions Y'all!

Earl likes this.
  14. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    I bought my first and only Moo from Bill Merchant in '95. I bet that I have packed and unpacked the bass way over 10,000 times since then. It still looks brand new and no zipper or strap has failed . If you are looking to save yourself fifty or a hundred bucks on something else, don't be a fool!

15. SRawl

SRawl

Oct 5, 2018
    Jonesboro, AR
    Robobass, could you send me a link to that case? I found Bill Merchants page but not his cases. It would be much appreciated!

16. msw

msw

Aug 21, 2003
    Massachusetts
    I’ve had great luck with Mooradian bags. My first Mooradian bag (1981) was purchased from Ron Mooradian himself and made in his basement. It’s still a great company and a great product.
    I’m on my way to Jed’s on Friday, and I’ll have another chance to see Ed’s bass. Based on what I’ve heard and seen of Jed’s basses, Ed’s is going to be a killer! Jed’s basses benefit greatly from his understanding of the relationship between the
    neck/bridge/overstand/top and their interaction. I don’t profess to understand the science but I sure can hear and feel the difference in his basses and his setup work.

Ed Fuqua likes this.
  17. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Apr 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    He's 4/5 of a mile from where I lived in college. I would love to have someone of that caliber 4/5 of a mile from me now.

18. Pretty sure he meant Mooradian. I know Bill and haven’t heard anything about him making cases.

SRawl likes this.
  19. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    Yes, I meant Mooradian. Bill isn't really a retailer of accessories, but he can order one for you.

20. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    I think he's just shorthanding Mooradian. Hopefully he's done something productive with the time he saved not typing radian...

SRawl and Lee Moses like this.