1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass Case

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by BassDude24, Mar 13, 2001.

1. BassDude24

BassDude24

Sep 12, 2000
    I couldn't find a "gear" section so I figured this was as good as any.

I was wondering if there are any innexpensive "hard" casses out there. I have seen some trunks, but they are unreal, a few thousand dollars for a case?

The soft case I have now has 3/4" foam and does well against scratching, but not hits. When it went under a bus to go to NY, for a Carnegie Hall gig, a few chips came out of my bass' side, and this past month, a strap broke and my neck became seperated from the bodie (a reparable injury which insurance covered and the company gave me a new case) so all is good and well now, but I want a little more protection.

2. dhosek

dhosek

May 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've not seen them offered for sale, although I once met a guy who made a big ol' padded coffin for his bass out of plywood, 2x4s and foam padding. I wouldn't use something like that for any situation where I wasn't in charge of the case being loaded and unloaded and moving it around is a 2-man job, but it does establish a nice middle ground.

-dh

3. Tim Ludlam

Tim Ludlam

Dec 19, 1999
    Carmel, IN
    Interestingly, and my apologies to bassdude for my digression, I was sitting in a luthier's shop today thumbing thru a back-dated issue of Strad, and there was a last page article on Gary Karr's troubles and trevails with bass transportation. He supposedly had a bass on every continent when he was touring heavily. He also had a full-time assistant who had the exclusive job of making sure that his Amati got, not only from point A to point B, but once it arrived at point B, had the appropriate mode of transportation to the concert hall.

So bassdude, the answer might be a full-time assistant. Huh???

4. BassDude24

BassDude24

Sep 12, 2000
    I suppose now all I will have to do is buy like 7 or 8 more bass' and hire some monkey slave to drag them around, thanks man.

5. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I can get you one of these cases. I have to call to get an update on pricing, but I'm sure we could do it for well under $900.

[​IMG]

6. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    It's not really intended as a heavy duty, airplane-ready monster trunk. Just a step up from a soft case that, despite all padding, can't always protect the instrument if you take a big hit. And good for the back of the band truck or trailer or on a bus or similar situation, to address BassDude24's query.