1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass cases

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by iriegnome, Nov 29, 2006.

1. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I did not find one of these anywhere - Bass cases??? Gig Bags??? Nothing??? Flight Cases?? Moulded Cases???
    I have every bass I own in a SKB (or SB Style case). I have about 6 gig bags laying around, but I will never use them..
    I have seen people walk out of stores without any protection for their purchases and I wonder what the hell they are thinking.
    Thoughts???
    Oh - By the way something to check out for Nov. 29 http://www.musiciansfriend.com/stupid

2. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I have cases for every bass I own. However, I seldom use the cases because I prefer gig bags. The cases are usually big and clunky. The only time I use cases are when I'm going to a gig out of town with the band and I have to load everything in the trailer...Usually then I still carry them in a bag.

If you think about what people are walking out with, it is usually not an instrument that is "valued" by the owner. I feel safe in saying you don't see many Sadowskys or Foderas roaming around without cases or bags

3. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I'm not sure what you're asking, but the best case I've found yet is the one that came with my Sadowsky which I believe is similar to this kind:

[​IMG]

I think it's called a TKL zero-gravity bass case #6136. It's very lightweight, and protects the bass REALLY well.

4. brandonie

brandonie Adult Film Music At It's Best!!!!

I don't know what they are thinkin!!! I just bought a flight case from warwick, I love it!!!

5. I don't quite understand the question... but I haven't used a 'bass case' in 25 years. The new generation of rigid bags (like the Incase Slimbag and the new Sadowsky PortaBag among others) makes cases somewhat obsolete even for those who are somewhat paranoid.

Even when checking a bass through, the new lightweight cases that are 'bag/case' hybrids (like the 'zero G' type cases that MTD and Sadowsky use) provide more than enough protection, and can be used as a 'gig bag' on the back end of the trip. If that worries you, you can just put your gig bag in an SKB 'bass safe' and have all the protection you could ever want, and still have your bag for the gig.

I can't imagine making an extra trip from car to stage due to having to carry a case!

6. ustabawannab

ustabawannab Caesar's palace, morning glory, silly human race. Gold Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Greenfield, WI.
    I carry my Ric around in a deluxe Road Runner bag instead of the case. Granted if I dropped it, I'm in trouble but for the normal lite brush-against-something type incidents, the bag is more than adequate protection.

I went to a bag because I kept banging my other bass casses into walls and door jams when carring them in the normal horizantal position. Plus I had a hell of a time getting the basses in and out of a conventional case in tiny back rooms and practice studios. I carry the bass vertically in a gig bag. Way less "bang" potential.

7. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I'm not sure I understand the question either, but I do understand that the MF Stupid Deal of the Day is exactly what I was looking for :)

El-cheapo gig bags for $9.99 each, including shipping :eek: Exactly what I need for a couple of el-cheapo basses. I have some nice gig bags that I use all of the time when I'm working, but I needed some cheap "dust cover" type gig bags and this Stupid Deal of the Day fits the need perfectly ....

Thanks for the link ..... :cool:

8. Vypor

Vypor

Oct 12, 2006
    Little Rock, AR
    I use TKL Cases, i havent ever had any problems with them. thier usually 50-100 bucks. I made the mistake of going out and buying a coffin case back when i got my BTB, and that was the lamest case ive ever owned.

Thier Cheaply made, they fall apart easy, and thier expensive. dont make that mistake. Go TKL or Freedom

9. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I use gig bags, and it's more than enough protection for the way my basses travel to a gig.

I'd only use a hard case if:
    - I was getting on an airplane
    - I was throwing my equipment into a truck with everyone else's equipment

Neither applies for me. Basses in gig bags in my own car provide all the protection necessary.

10. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Just to clarify - What kind of case, if any, do you use with your basses?

11. The Dave

The Dave

Jun 23, 2006
    Canyon, Texas
    I use a Fender molded hardshell. It's half shaped so it doesn't take up a lot of space and it's not too heavy. If I had it to do over again, I'd probably get the slightly more expensive SKB shaped molded hardshell cause the Fender is made in China and kinda flimsy compared to SKB stuff that I've had. It's still plenty of protection though.
    p734b.

12. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Huddinge, Sweden
    I use a hard "bass shaped" case that came with the bass 25 years ago. It weighs almost nothing, and doesn't take up much more space than the bass itself.

Gig bags scare me, but then I am a clumsy oaf.

Rune

13. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    Ummmm. Does the new Sadowsky Portabag count as a case? or a gig bag?

14. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I'm a stickler for tolex or tweed cases. 25yr old tolex cases are always in better shape than 25yr old plastic cases, so that says something to me.
    All of our gear rides in a trailer wether is a local or long distant gig, and again the tolex cases stack ontop of each other and stay put, where the plastic cases don't stack becasue they slide everywhere.

15. high mileage

high mileage

Apr 17, 2006
    Rockford IL
    I'm a big fan of the tolex hard cases too. I use them all the time except for going to band practice when I use a gig bag because my bass (or basses) have to go to my office with me for the day. Just got one of the leather Low End double bags... very nice!

16. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Our show requires 4 different basses. We play a lot of large hotels and convention centers, and while we have a crew that hauls/sets up/tears down the backline/PA/lights, I still have to carry in from my car the 4 basses, a case with cables/effects/stands/etc, and my clothes bag. I park in the garage and walk/take the elevator to the ballroom. So gig bags are my only option. Now, the basses I never play are all in cases in a large closet at home.

Ronn

17. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    I always use hardshell cases. 9 times out of 10 I have my rack, cabinet and two basses stuffed in the back of my vehicle and I like the piece of mind the hardshell cases give me. I own a very nice Levy's gigbag but I still find myself paranoid about using it.

18. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
  19. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    All my MIA Fenders came with tolex and molded hsc's
    I bought 3 SKB casses for basse (MIJ/CIJ Fenders) that did not come with cases at purchase
    I bought gig bags for the cheapest basses I bought new or used.
    I bought a Levy's heavy padded (the good one) gig bag to transport all my basses from home to the gigging destination. If a bass leaves my house it's in this bag!