Bass & Cello?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bdengler, Dec 28, 2003.

1. bdengler

Jan 23, 2000
    New Albany, Ohio
    I hope I posted this in the right place. I'm wondering if any folks on this site play both bass guitar and cello. At church, I have been asked at times to bow pieces. I'm finding the cello a heck-of-a-lot more easier to carry and play than a double bass! Plus I can also do duets with my daughter when the need arises (she's a cello player). Do others do it on this site, and if so, do you have any particular difficulties or issues? Thanks, Happy New Year, Brian
  2. Pause

Jun 4, 2003
    Miami, FL
    Nope. I've tried a bit, I could get a sound from it first try. But, I will just never understand the whole "tuning in 5ths" thing that the other strings do.
  3. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    I got a cello for Festivus. I've always been more interested in cello than doublebass. I tune my bass to CGDA for some songs, so that's no big deal, although I find fifths tuning more suited for chords, which isn't something I'm going to be able to do on cello for awhile.
  4. StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    Interested in cello? Yes.
    Play cello? No.

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

6. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    I sorted played cello in Middle School, once high school hit i had to drop it since i didn't have room in my schedule for orchestra. I did continue with music though, i'm in a bunch of bands. I'd like to pick it back up again. That's all