Bass Central...and 2 other I have MIJ Fender GAS

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dave120, Nov 1, 2005.

1. dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    Well me and my brother made a complete round of Orlando area music stores yesterday. I went to Sam Ash to get some strings because they're the only place around here that has my Nickel Rotos in stock regularly. Then I decided to take the new SX over to Bass Central to have their guy look at it and see how much of a setup it still needs. My setup skills are getting better but I'm still not good enough to where it never needs tweaking yet. That is an IMPRESSIVE store too. I've never seen so many nice (yet expensive) basses in one place. Too bad I'm a broke college student with no money for any of that nice gear! Nice guys down there too I expected to be heckled and ridiculued for bringing my $100 SX in there but they were nice as can be and very helpful to me. Maybe they laughed at me after I left, I don't know :D I need to take my bass back there Saturday and they'll set it up nice for me, I can't wait to see how nice this thing will play when someone who knows what they're doing takes a crack at it.

Anyways to the point of this post, after that stop at Bass Central my brother wanted to go to Guitar Center to try out a Les Paul or something so as always I ventured over to the Rumble Room to see what was new since my last visit. I got lucky and it was a slow day so there was nobody else in there to deal with. After playing every Squire and Fender in there I'm pretty happy with my SX purchase as a good medium between the two and for half the cost of the Squires. The American Fender basses were nicely setup, but I have no money for one of those. The MIMs were marginally better than my SX (but I did say better, in some ways anyways...I don't like the finish on most Fender and squire necks).

Now what did catch my eye was a used '87 Fender P bass MIJ. It was the pearl white that had yellowed like all of them do. It looked like the Fender Jazz Specials I've had GAS for over for a while now, just without the J pickup in the bridge. It's a normal P bass body shape but the edges are more rounded and smooth. It was a little beat up, some scratches, chips, dents, etc, and the bridge and strap buttons were rusty. I picked it up and it just felt wonderful. It had the black neck and black hardware. The yellowing did make it look a little dated but I like that look, and I love how Fenders look with no pickguard. I plugged it in and it sounded huge. I thnk it had a Seymour Duncan 1/4 lb in it, though there were no markings on the pickup it had the extra large pole pieces that I've only seen on 1/4 lbs. It played really nice too. IMO it had the USA Fenders that were there covered, and it was lighter too. This was the first time I had actually seen a MIJ Fender up close and played one. If most of them are like the one I played I think those things are a heck of deal for what they go for on Ebay. Of course GC wanted too much money for this one, but it was a really nice bass even if it was very felt solid as anything I've played before. Now I REALLY want a 80's MIJ Jazz Special!

Sorry for the long post!
  2. truckin88

Oct 18, 2001
    Newburgh, NY
    put a badass II on some nice pickups, and maybe some tuners and you can't go wrong with that SX
  3. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    It's easy GAS to get once you have a chance to play the '80's MIJ Specials .... seems to have been several threads about the Specials over the past week or so ... :cool:
  4. dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    Oh I had GAS for a Jazz Special for a while now, but I'd never played a MIJ Fender from that era so I assumed they'd play a little better than a MIM, but this one I played was excellent even in it's worn state. Now that GAS is gonna be even worse. I need more time so I can work more and buy more basses! I would sell all my basses and buy one, but then I would have GAS for something else cuz I can't ever seem to have only 1 bass for very long. That and finding a good Jazz Special in either black or White pearl in decent shape is getting kinda difficult.

But for now my new SX P/J is gonna have to do. Once I add the black pickguard, put my SD Hot for P bass that I already have in there and get a SD Hot Stack for the bridge, I should be set for a little bit and with less than $200 invested overall. It plays pretty freakin well after my setup which is hardly a good one. After I get a professional setup job it should be really nice since the construction on this particular SX is better than I've seen on the 6 or so others I've played and/or owned.