Bass Change Advice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jason Hale, Sep 24, 2002.

1. I own a Modulus Q6. Frankly, it dissapoints me. I cut my teeth on a USA Fender Hot Rod P. I started lusting after a high end bass, active pickups, exotic woods, 35" scale, etc. etc. I truly love and appreciate high end basses but I really miss that big, fat, bottom that just fills the room. I'm not a victor-oteil-stanley-super fast guy. I'm a huge fan but that's not my playing style. My style is more like nasvhille session guys and/or layin' down a good, simple, solid, in the pocket groove. So, I'm selling my Q6 and moving back to the "fender vibe". Maybe someday I'll get another "sophisticated" bass. I know I want a 5 string and something better than a Fender. I would appreciate any suggestions. Let me know what you think I should get.
  2. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I know this name is gonna come up, so I will be the first to say it--Sadowsky.

But, a Lakland 55-94 would fit your bill quite nicely too.
  3. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

Get a Sadowsky Vintage 5. Super high end in quality, fretwork, etc but with the Fender vibe, punch, and looks. Laklands are cool too but the Sadowskys are easier to make sound great. Another one to consider is an Fbass BN5 or studio 5. Fender fat vibe but a modern look. Good luck

4. how's about a G&L 2000

Fender vibe, but better:D
  5. Let me edit by saying this: I don't have anything agains exotic woods, active pickups, etc. while making this decision. I just want a "in the pocket tone machine" instead of a super sizzly high end bass that makes me want to play as fast as I can.
  6. Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    Warwick has the Phattest sound I've heard, any Warwick
  7. Sadowsky Vintage 5 with single coil pickups would fit your expectations perfectly.

I've never played anything better.

8. After taking heed to all your suggestions and reading numerous reviews, I think I know what I'll do. If I go with Sadowsky, Lull, Fender, and all the other Fender clones, I'd for sure have my big, solid bottom. But, that's it. I started thinking (whoa-get back) and decided I'd like to have some type of modern tone as well occasionally. So, if I got a Zon, Pedulla, Modulus, etc i'd have a great modern tone and that's it. So, I thought.....I need a bass that can give me trad and modern tones both. Thus the lust for G&L L2500, Lakland 55-94 and Fbass BN5/Studio 5 begins. However, I would choose F over Lakland because they are the same price and the Lakland is now an "assembly line" instrument while F are still handmade. Guess that narrows it down to G&L L2500 and Fbass. Any thoughts on my conclusion?

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    No comparison. F-bass wins hands down. The service, the quality, and the sound is absolutely great. Give George a call. He is very friendly, and can answer any questions you might have. The F-Bass is one of the most versatile, and nicest feeling basses there are. Check them out!:D
  10. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Streamer Stage 1 5 string. I've heard good things about these. :p
  11. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    an Elrick Jazz bass :D
  12. Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Me too. I just went through this as well.
    Had some very informative e-mail exchanges with some industry people from Nashville.

Lakland is very much the darling on the block right now. Nobody gripes about Sadowsky and nobody that has a good Tobias is selling it either.

If you're talking 5 strings, those names account for probably at least 80% of what you hear live and on record (in Nashville)

If you're talking 4 strings, Fender still rules but Sadowsky's are far from rare.

It's just about a waste of time and money to try to do any new nashville stuff without a 5 string. IMHO
  13. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    You don't have a Fender? Well, then the answer is clear.
  14. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    IMO an F Bass is certainly a modern sounding axe. I don't think you could go wrong with a Lakland 55-94. I wish we lived close together so you could play mine. Assembly line bass? Maybe. As good as a Fender/MM can get? Oh yeah.

I've owned several G&L basses and the lack of proper shielding on the active basses makes them hum in many venues. The build quality is pretty nice but certainly nowhere near the level of a Lakland. Neither is the price.

I've played only one Sadowsky and thought is was a very nice bass but not any better than a USA Lakland or a Mike Lull. YMMV. Many think Sadowsky is the standard to judge Fender and Fender clone basses by, however, two of the guys at the Dudepit recently bought Sadowsky 5 string basses and sold them pretty quick.

15. jpwinters

jpwinters Guest

Aug 22, 2002
    Norfolk, Va
    What is it with all the big boutique basses? I've owned a few, and while the craftsmanship is great on these, you can get that on production models also. Yea granted you get some real fancy woods and high end electronics, but I just can't see spending more than $1600.00 on a bass.

If I wanted artwork to hang around my neck I'd go buy the Mona Lisa.

I buy a bass for functionality. It is a tool of my trade.

In my opinion those boutique basses are just for bragging rites.

I don't mean to offend anyone, it's just my opinion.
  16. Well, as my name may suggest, I lean towards pedulla's. You can get a Rapture with the PJ set on it for a decent price, and they rule. There is one here in town but I haven't bought it yet.

Regarding craftsmanship, I think my Pedulla's , even the bolt on's are better than my Jazz 5. But it's not the name, or the flame maple tops that have lured me to Pedulla's. It is their feel, balance, overall playability, and tone. IMO a Pedulla is the most comfortable bass that I have ever played, from neck shape to weight. And I have played alot of different basses, both high end and low end.

I have seen used Raptures going for less than a grand, but you don't see used pedulla's very often.
  17. there is a Pedulla rapture 5 for 700 over at the dudepit.

I'd buy it but I don't need another rapture.
  18. If it were me (and it's not) I'd be torn between the Lakland Skyline 55-02 and the G&L L-2500. So since you already bumped Lakland ff the list, my vote (if there was a poll, and there isn't) would go to the G&L.

Have you considered the Musicman StingRay 5?
  19. The answer of all answers.
  20. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    The Zon Sonus series is very traditional sounding and doesn't sound at all like a Modulus, yet shares the advantages of the graphite neck, nice woods, bart pickups and electronics. They are 34" scale, rather traditional looking, and sound VERY warm, in some ways, warmer than my MTD 535. The Sonus basses from Zon have a very J-like tone without as much clank or chime IMO. If you want sound samples, email me at