Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Choice Query

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by spazlink, Nov 24, 2004.

1. spazlink

spazlink

Nov 24, 2004
    Getting my first bass [if this should be elsewhere.. oops.], but I've no idea what's good or whatever. I was first thinking about this:
    http://www.music123.com/Silvertone-SSLB11-Bass--And--Amplifier--Combo-Pack-i83613.music
    $220, not too bad. Comes with everything you'd need to get started. Then, there's this:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=bass/search/detail/base_pid/519296/
    Doesn't have as much, but is only $200 and the other things could be covered (for the most part) in that $20. So it comes down to a question of quality. Which of these, or which other package/combination of parts for ~$200 would be good?

[nb: I am not wholly new to music; I've played french horn for 6 years and other various instruments in that span as well, including some guitar]

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Both of them are pretty crappy. You would be 100x better off either buying the Yamaha bass starters package, OR, buyinga bass from www.rondomusic.net and an amp seperately.

3. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Other good alternatives to Figjams are Peavey, Squier and Ibanez starter packs. The two you listed are not very good at all and may hinder you more than anything else.

4. Raven

Raven

Nov 14, 2004
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Figjam and christle are right... those two you're considering are junk..... trying to learn to play bass on a poor instrument is frustrating at best, and more likely to be so miserable you'll want to quit. Go to a music store that carries a wide variety of basses and try the ones in your price range, see what feels and sounds good to you.
    Also, don't overlook the used market. There are very good buys out there on excellent basses, and you can get a lot better bass for the same money as a lesser quality new one.
    Whatever you do, DON'T let some high pressure sales person push you into something you don't really want, or can't afford.

Happy hunting... :cool: