1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass Chorus Questions: What to Buy, Best Deals etc.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by N I C lK, Aug 3, 2012.

1. N I C lK

N I C lK

Aug 21, 2011
    Western New York
    Hey TB, need your help again.

I'm looking for a chorus pedal for bass. I love The Cure and well, you can see where I'm going with that. I heard the T-Rex Sweeper and I thought "I need one!", but I see that Boss and EH make some pretty good chorus pedals. The cheapest T-Rex Sweeper I found was $80, which isn't good at the moment because I'm pretty low on cash :crying: So, I looked further and found really cheap Boss Bass Chorus stompboxes for $50! They look fine and I really don't care if it's used! I listened to demos of the Boss and it sounded fine to me, so I was just about to jump on these offers. NOW, I have heard that the "Small Clone" by EH is great and bassists love them, even if it's not especially made for them. I found a Small Clone on eBay for $88, BUT it comes with 4 free cables, and that sounds like a deal to me because me and my bandmates are lacking cables. lol.

I'm thinking I should probably stick with the Boss though. It's cheap, plays pretty good, and with the money saved I could probably buy a used MXR Envelope Filter :D

Experiences with these pedals/stompboxes? What should I do?

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I like the Boss one, you can get them used for $50-60 all day long, but surprisingly enough, the one digitech pedal I enjoyed was the digitech bass chorus, very "shimmery" and a good effect, also very cheap.

I bought almost all of my Boss used, I have never had one break or had any troubles with any of them, Boss builds stuff for life.

3. If you like the "80s" chorus type sound and want a Boss Pedal, go with the CE-5. It is more versatile than the CEB-3, which some say is way too subtle. You could probably score a used CE-5 for around $50. Built like a tank.

4. got the boss one for 35, sold it on here for 35.. just wasn't my thing. as far as sound goes the sweeper you mentioned; it is my favorite sounding chorus, but I've read quite a few quality issues with that pedal.. preventing me from pulling the trigger on it.

I'd say listen til you find the one that pleases your ear, save up and get that one.

5. coldwar1977

coldwar1977

Aug 1, 2012
    Belgium
    If you like the sound of the cure you'll need BOSS !

6. jordancw07

jordancw07

Oct 15, 2011
    Check out the ehx stereo electric mistress, I love mine. Really awesome sounds out of the filter matrix and it also has a sweet flanger that doesn't cut out to much bottom so you can get jet plane sweeps, watery chorus, and combine them however you like. It is genuinely a pedal that will greatly expand your sonic landscapes.

7. IronLung1986

IronLung1986

May 19, 2010
    Exeter, NH
    you should try the TC electronic Corona pedal, it's pretty awesome on bass.

8. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    If you want a good affordable chorus pedal, I would recommend the danelectro cool cat cc-1 chorus pedal. even though this pedal is design for guitar,it does work sell for bass. especially since it has a mix control. this pedal can deliver nice lush chorus sounds. it also sounds pretty cool with distortion pedals.

9. +1

I also have a Small Clone, which I also like, but it's less versatile. You'll never get the full, deep, haunting sound of the Small Clone with the Mistress, but the stereo electric mistress will give you a wider range of tone to work with. Both are great pedals.

10. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan
    Boss are quality pedals. I own 12, some are 30 years old and work perfectly.

Yes, for a Cure sound, get a Boss chorus. You can get them dirt cheap. IMO I prefer my CE-3 for Cure songs opposed to the CEB-3. (CE-3 is analog, CEB-3 is digital, Simon's been using an analog CE-5 since the early '90s)