Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Chorus

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by vivaknoxvegas, May 7, 2002.

1. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Who makes the best bass chorus pedal? Prices? Thanks.

2. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Anybody?

3. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    I don't know about chorus pedels, but you would probably do better in the effects forum.

4. I have heard that the EBS pedals are very good. I would try it out if I was looking for one.

Geoff

5. AJClone

AJClone

Mar 11, 2002
    Iowa
    I've heard that the TC electronics chorus is very, very good....and expensive.

6. The Analogman Chorus is very good; I have one. Pricey but sounds warm, is analogue, small, two knobs and simple to use, true bypass, exceptionally quiet. A much better clone of the revered EH Small Clone Chorus.

When recording post-processing chorus is used more often. I record dry 99.9999% of the time.

DLS, TC, Fulltone make great but pricey chorus. Old Boss CE-1 is the standard for some. EBS is nice but not true bypass. Also, check out the Voodoo Lab Chorus.

7. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Wrong Forum.

A chorus PEDAL is not a BASS. It is an EFFECT. We have an EFFECTS forum, that is where this belongs.;)

Here ya go, Bigfeet.:D :p

8. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Chorus is a very difficult and personal thing. Almost as difficult to find as distortion. I suggest you try as many as you can. Chorus will be more noticeable in the higher frequencies. So you generally want to set up for a brighter sound, or play in the upper positions to really get the chorusing to stand out. Some choruses specifically designed for bass have a low-pass filter on them that lets low frequencies pass through uneffected. Some people feels this cleans up the bottom end. Some choruses are bright and chimey others are very dark.

Currently I use a Fulltone Choral-Flange, a very nice unit with a sound similar to an old analog Boss pedal, the CE-1. I have also used an EH Polychorus with great satisfaction. It is very dark and thick. (Sting and Jaco both used this pedal.) The EH Small Clone is also very good and pretty cheap. I don't like the TC chorus, but others like it a lot.

A good cheap chorus is one from Danelectro. I think it is called a "Cool Cat".

These are all analog choruses. There are also digital ones. I personally prefer analog ones as they are warmer. For digital, try the new boss CEB-3, (or something like that). That's thier digital bass chorus.

9. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Oops, I swear I looked for an "effects" folder and totally missed it. Sorry.

Where can I find the EH or Analogman chorus? Thanks.

10. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    the best chorus/flanger you can get is made by TC electronic. It's a rack effect, their pedal is less than adequate for bass applications.

Keep in mind that chorus and flangers are the same thing with different delay rates.

The TC electronic one not only works in stereo like most choruses, it gives the impression of the sound panning from one side to the other through delays. If somthing is on your right, its sound reaches your right ear just before your left. This effect models that.. definately the best chorus out there... its over a grand though.

11. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    i use a 19 dollar dano mini pedal. i think its called a milkshake.sucks for guitar but with everything turned down sounds killer for bass. for different settings i use a guitar pod.

12. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I'm fond of the EBS...very lush!

13. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I happen to like the BOSS chours pedal. but the built in chours on my head sounds nice. creamy, shimmering, and has a low pass. great goodness i likes it.

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yeah, I'm happy with my Boss CEB-3. Clean sound, plenty of whoosh.

15. George Dennis has VERY, very good volume / fx combo pedals..

for instance.. my pedal is a volume and phaser pedal. if the led is lid, it's a phaser.. but if you press it way down till it clicks, the led goes out, and it becomes a volume pedal..

same thing with overdrives, wahs, chorusses etc..

and they're real cheap.

www.george-dennis.cz

16. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Where did you get that price ?!? :confused:

Last time I checked it was in the 250-300$ range (in Germany).

17. yeah.. i knew there were import/export costs.. but not that they were THIS high ;)

18. I have only one pedal.... Bass Chorus BOSS CEB-3 and i played dozens of different chorus pedals and i loved it for the cost. approx $99 canadian

On another topic the pedal that would be cool to have would be a dynamic wah pedal... good and quite neat.