Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Clarinet: Getting Started

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matt Till, May 1, 2005.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Alright, I've got a reed now... I'm making bad sounds. What next? Any good websites (I couldn't find any)

And no, I cannot afford a teacher.

2. long tones

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    What is that...

4. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    This site has some links that might be useful: http://www.bassclarinet.org/duo_resources.html

It has a link to a bass clarinet Yahoo! group. You can probably get some questions answered there.

Good luck! I'd love to take up the bass clarinet one day.

5. Rat

Rat

Mar 15, 2005
    Boston Sewers
    Hit the local music store and snag a mel bay beginner book...
    for clarinet or bass clarinet ....they are both keyed the same

I played both thru high school

it's gonna take some time for you to get some clean tones out of it, and a lot of breath :p

6. What to do with your fingers, you can get out of a book. What to do with your mouth, you probably would benefit greatly by having someone help you, at least once to get things going.

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Bass clarinet is one of the :cool:est bass wind instruments.

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Right on, thanks for the help guys.

Actually I think I'll take you up on getting a book. And my friends kid brother plays the bass clarinet, he can help get me started. :)

I'm going to work out some really avante gardey music... bass, bass clarinet, synth... bass drum? I'm sensing a Jazzy rendition of big bottom. :)