Bass Clarinet noodling

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bholder, Oct 13, 2017.

1. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Well just tried jamming on my old bass clarinet to a background jam track. It's been 38+ years since I played at all seriously, and that was all school band stuff (no freeform jamming), but given the decades off and inexperience improvising on it, I'm happy to have as much left as I do. I think my general musical progress from bass playing "bleeds over" a bit. Don't have much in the way of chops left, though (embouchure totally gone).

What do folks think? Worth pursuing further, or just give up?

(Edit: closer to 40 years, d'oh - you know you're gettin' old when you start slipping by decades instead of years. :roflmao:)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    BurnOut likes this.
  2. Keep jammin' :thumbsup:

bholder likes this.
  3. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Thanks! I've realized I kind of "sound like me" regardless of what instrument I'm playing.

saabfender likes this.
  4. I did the same thing a few years ago on trombone—my first instrument—following a 20 year absence, after switching to bass.

If your city offers a community band, it’s a great way to get your chops back. Once they are back to a decent level, try a college wind ensemble.

Groove Doctor and bholder like this.
  5. delta7fred

delta7fred

Jul 3, 2007
    England
    Play to your strengths, it's better to be a first rate bholder than a second or third rate (insert well known musician here).

(It sounds good to me.)

bholder likes this.
  6. blastoff99

blastoff99 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2011
    SW WA, USA
    And I bet just the smell of the thing on opening the case brought a lot of memories back!

Bob_Ross and bholder like this.
  7. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Well, this isn't the one I played way back then - could never afford my own, always school or rented. Picked this up 20 years ago on ebay cheap, but it was unplayable - took it to "that guy" earlier this year for pads and springs and falling in love all over again now that I can make it sing. :)

But yeah, this is an old school band / rental instrument itself, and yeah, they all do kinda smell the same after a few decades! :roflmao:

8. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Totally bad ass, dude.

bholder likes this.
  9. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Thanks! Guess I'll keep practicing. :D

10. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    I always felt when playing it in the school band that it should be capable of being so much more lyrical than the "oom-pah" counterpoint it usually got stuck with. Had a few pieces with some really, really cool parts though. When I get my chops going on this, I've got a contrabass to get fired up too ('nother octave down). After that (after I'm retired, that is), bassoon. :)

11. twelvetrombones

twelvetrombones Martian Ambassador Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2017
    Portland, OR
    Sounds very nice. It is sentimental, but nice.

bholder likes this.
  12. blastoff99

blastoff99 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2011
    SW WA, USA

Yup. And certain instruments more than others. I was a brass player, and French Horns and baritones smelled more than trumpets and trombones... open that case and it takes me right back to somewhere. Kinda like having an old motorcycle in the garage. I'd know that smell anywhere.

Keep it up! Sounds good. My dream is to find a decent old C Melody Sax at a garage sale that someone has mislabeled as a tenor. What are the odds, right?

bholder likes this.
  13. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY

a little work in progress for a rainy day - my Rav drum in Gm (clarinet friendly!) arrived.
    easier to play the two together
    a little squawk I left in to prove it's really me lol

delta7fred likes this.
  14. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Here's the original noodling, posted on Soundcloud, save anyone the download...

delta7fred likes this.
  15. delta7fred

delta7fred

Jul 3, 2007
    England
    I have a bit of a soft spot for clarinet, my youngest daughter got moderately proficient on it and I remember enjoying listening to her practising and going to see her at concerts in her mid to late teens. Once she went to university it sat at my house unused and unloved for about 10 years until some obnoxious neighbours moved in next door to her.

She picked it up when she visited me and started practising scales and pieces (that she used to be good at) before she went to work as retaliation to the noise they were making while she was trying to get to sleep. They soon stopped, and so did she.

bholder likes this.
  16. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Awww, she may wish later she hadn't stopped. I'm trying to get my chops back after 40 years off. ;)

delta7fred likes this.
  17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021