Bass Cleaning

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Head Creep, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Head Creep

Head Creep

Nov 6, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I'm not sure exactly which forum this should go in, so I'll put it here for now. Moving on...

Since all my family is coming over for Christmas, I'd like to clean all the fingerprints from my bass. I know there's lots of specialized things that do the job, but I don't have the time to go out and buy any of it. My question is, would household products for wood furniture be okay to clean the body? And if not, what would?
  2. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    I would use windex. It'll remove the soil and leave no residue behind. Just don't get any on any un-finished wood and you'll be fine.

3. ...I agree,but be careful around the electronics...I dont know if it can do any damage,but you probably wont want to find out the hard way...
    it would probably be best to apply the windex to a cloth and wipe...instead of spraying it right on the body,and possibly get some inside the electronics cavity.
  4. JohnBarr

Mar 19, 2004
    Central NY
    Go easy on the Windex, but it will work.
    My preference would be to use a more mild dish soap soaked into a warm, damp cloth. And follow up with a dry cloth.

I've also used NuFinish car polish on the painted surfaces and it went on fine. Gives you little layer of protection. But be careful to keep it off the wood and strings.

5. I have a clear finished bass, and i use just like a wood buffer... like... Behold... or Pinesall or whatever, plus it makes it nice and smooth, shiny.. and smelling like lemons :D
  6. Warm/soapy water mix followed by a damp cloth. if you want to 'wax' your bass with a car wax, don't use something like NuFinish. use a 100% Pure caranuaba wax. Nufinish has tons of abrasives init, and is more of a polish than a wax. some meguiars pure yellow carnuba is a good choice. worked wonders on my camaro and firebird for two years.