Bass clear coat cracked

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by seanm, Jul 21, 2018.

1. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I went to play my P bass today and the clear coat had cracked badly and was hanging off the bass. I last used the bass on July 1st, which was extremely hot and muggy. I am pretty sure it was ok when I started.

Any ideas what I should do? I don't want to put too much money into the bass, so a refinish is out of the question. IMGP3151.JPG
    The less shiny area on the right is where the clear coat fell away on stage. The clear coat is surprisingly yellow.

2. Super glue (ca) will stop the failure from propagating. It will need a refinish but thats not in the cards. I would wick ca glue around all the cracks and live with it.

RSBBass and seanm like this.
  3. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    If I where to buy some glue from stewmac... should I get the thin, medium, or thick? I am assuming thin but I might as well make sure.

fhm555 likes this.
  4. The thin will wick in better

5. I buy mine at walmart. Just make sure its not the flexible stuff.

96tbird likes this.
  6. briandavismurph

briandavismurph

Jul 1, 2013
    Chicago
    If I might suggest a quick and cheap fix: strip it and Tru-Oil it. DONE! Just did mine and could not be happier. You'll need one bottle of Tru-Oil, some sandpaper from 120, 400, 800 grit, maybe a heat gun to help strip the paint and that's it. Fast and easy for under $20 USD
    IMG_1808.JPG

7. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown

Feb 16, 2011
    The best deal going in CA is Bob Smith Industries. They sell through hobby shops and have everything from thinner than water to as thick as syrup. The prices are good, the CA is good and it’s usually the freshest because it turns over quickly being it’s hands down the most popular brand of CA among the hobby crowd.
    If you’ve got a local hobby shop or even a chain franchise like Hobbytown USA, give them a call and see if they carry BSI glues. You won’t be disappointed.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
    1bassplayinfool and 96tbird like this.
  8. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    It looks like the clear coat is falling off in big chunks. It looks like another split in the background there?

9. toprekoms

toprekoms Inactive

Aug 22, 2010
    Colorado
    If you don't like the idea of stripping it, sand off the old finish. Start with an 80 grit paper and work your way up to 400-800 grit paper and a radial hand sander. I just did the same on a 38 year old bass with a thick finish, and when I got to a certain point, it came off quite easily.

Good luck!

10. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown

Feb 16, 2011
    One thing is for sure, if you put a bunch of CA on your bass it will be exponentially harder to refinish if you ever decide to do so. I’ve stripped several poly finished Fenders and a heat gun and a dull scraper take the poly off in less than an hour, then a little sanding and you are ready to oil or paint.

96tbird and seanm like this.
  11. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Ok, I didn't think of that! The damage is all on the bottom, so it doesn't show that much except for the piece hanging off. I may just break off that piece and call it good for now. This bass lives in a gig bag... so the wood should stay clean.

fhm555 likes this.
  12. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I'm back! I stripped the clear coat off using heat and a scrapper. Took no time at all. I used a 1500W heat gun at about 1/2.

IMGP3169.JPG
    I plan on using tru-oil since @briandavismurph's bass looks so nice.

96tbird, fhm555 and charlie monroe like this.
  13. briandavismurph

briandavismurph

Jul 1, 2013
    Chicago
    Thanks for the compliment.
    One thing I did add to the Tru oil was artist paint in a mustard yellow kind of color.
    The oil base paint that you can buy any art shop work craft store mixes readily with the Tru oil which is a linseed oil based finish product.
    You can use just about any color that they have and it gives you additional possibilities.
    Good luck with your project

fhm555 likes this.
  14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021