bass clicking

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Kurt Zimmerman, Nov 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Kurt Zimmerman

Kurt Zimmerman

Sep 8, 2016
    So I have an Ibanez 505, and it's making a clicking noise during playing. It's not like fret buzz, it's a hard clicking noise. It's a little obnoxious, any Ideas on ow to get rid of it?

2. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Are the strings hitting the pickup poles?

3. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    Are your fingernails long?

4. RickyT

RickyT

May 29, 2015
    Dee Why
    Is the Treble boosted any where? Amp? Bass? Pre amp pedal?

5. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Are you playing typewriter style like John Entwistle? That will click and clack all over the place.

6. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

The clue the OP should get from the above posts is that technique is most likely the answer.

Lownote38 likes this.
  7. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Whut it kant b me, my teckneek is puurrr fect. 646d2bea71c0aa1a97feec309895f9f1.jpg

Precision101 likes this.
  8. Kurt Zimmerman

Kurt Zimmerman

Sep 8, 2016
    No, my technique is not perfect, lol. I play a few different basses, and this is the only one that I have this trouble with. I didn't think that the strings were hitting the pickup poles, but I'll have to check that out a little more in depth. It's a very piercing click, louder than the note being played, and it penetrates through almost anything. I have my high eq set at a tic above middle, so it is boosted a little bit, but not much. Dropping the high end down doesn't do away with the click, just muffles it some.

9. Will_White

Will_White

Jul 1, 2011
    Salem, OR
    What's your action set at?

10. Sounds like your strings may be bouncing off you fretboard. Maybe need to adjust the action to the strings being used. For instance light gauge flexable strings with a low action is a no go. And you may need a bit more relief in the neck also.

Will_White likes this.
  11. Kurt Zimmerman

Kurt Zimmerman

Sep 8, 2016
    The neck seems to be a little flat up around the 17th fret ish. I'm going to try putting a little relief into the neck to see if the clicking goes away, or what. I didn't notice it a first because I was checking the string height much closer to the fret that I was fingering. Oh well, lessons learned (maybe).

12. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    Had a quick look on Google, and the Ibanez 505 doesn't have exposed poles. It could just be the strings hitting the last fret. I was recording bass lines last week, and hearing a fair bit of clack from the strings contacting the last fret.

13. Kurt Zimmerman

Kurt Zimmerman

Sep 8, 2016
    That's the theory I'm going with at this point. Now just to find my hex keys......

14. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    Adjusting relief isn't going to alter anything about the position of the last fret. In fact I'm not sure the truss rod does anything much around the 17th fret. I would try raising the action slightly or trying different strings or EQ settings/turn off the tweeter etc.

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 24, 2021