Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Collection basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jcburn, Nov 20, 2003.

1. Can anyone tell me much about bass collection basses?I know for a short time they went out of production but are being made again now.Cant find a website.Just wondering because there is one for sale in a store near me that seems to be optioned up to the max (bartolini p + mm,ebony board,gotoh bridge and tuners,walnut on maple body etc...).It is second hand so therefor must be of the older variety.Have included a pic of what I assume is the current top of the line model - the sb465.

2. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    Ive never even heard of them, but they look beautiful.

3. citizen

citizen

Jan 24, 2003
    FRANCE,paris
    I totaly agree with rougepom.
    It s kind of cheap tune basses.
    It s good basses at good price.
    Muse s bass player payed on it beafore pedulla.

4. I was going to say it looks a lot like a Tune.

5. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    The second or third bass I ever owned was a used Bass Collection 4-string which I got about 15 years ago. They may very well have changed since then, but at the time I remember being impressed by its components (big Gotoh bridge, phenolic fingerboard, active PJ pups + electronics, etc).

My next bass after that was the instrument that has since become my #1, an early-70's Jazz Bass... and I was quickly (un)impressed by how thin, lifeless and sterile the Bass Collection bass sounded in comparison. Granted, many/most basses sound relatively weak in comparison to this particular Jazz bass, but I realized that the whole of an instrument is far greater than the sum of its parts... and my impression of the Bass Collection remained the same after I began playing and learning about other basses. In all, I remember it being a very small + light instrument which played OK, but unfortunately I was pretty unimpressed by the overall sound. Play it before you buy if you can.

6. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    sergio crestana (ex-moonspell) recorded with a bass collection 5 string on 'darkness and hope.' it actually sounded really sweet. i'm not sure which model it was, but it had a p-j pup configuration.

[​IMG]

7. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Kansas City
    I currently have a Bass Collection SB502 (Fretless). Yes, you are right! There is precious little info about them. Overall, mine is a pleasure to play but it does seem a bit on the "small" side but is built really well. Other than the overall size, I have no complaints whatsoever with mine....

8. I'm not sure how old this post is, but I have a SB100 5-String BAss by BAss Collection...And Icouldn't be happier. I've tried many bassess in many stores..But for some reason I can't really find one I like more at teh end of the day... Sure..You get the classics with there amzing classic tone..But..I dunoo..This feels so great to me. MAybe I just lucked out..But this 24 Fret, Active, Solid Bass with Gotoh Tuners and Gotoh Bridge...Allows for some great low action and tone. I can go from warm fuzzy wooly to high tech almost medical trebly tone. NAyway..just my 2c (Plus, it looks so cool)

9. heessels

heessels

Jan 3, 2005
    Well, I am familiar with Bass Collection basses. That is to say: the japanese ones. There are "fake" ones for sale. But none compare to the real stuff! ;)
    I started with a very heavy weight bass (forgot the name). It was a red monster, giving me a pain in the neck and left shoulder. :meh:
    Then I bought a new five-string bass-collection. Not the most expensive model, unfortunately. I didn't know how my bass-playing career would turn out. :confused:
    I was looking for a back-up instrument and wanted a similar piece of equipment. But I found that the company was out of business already a long time ago. So second hand it would be, but none to be found.
    Last month I spoke to a colleage who was leaving the company. He turned out to be bass-playing as well and would sell (part of) his gear, a.o. his.... Bass Collection 5-string!!!!!! (The expensive model!)
    So now I am a lucky bastard.... :smug: