Bass Collection basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jcburn, Nov 20, 2003.

1. Can anyone tell me much about bass collection basses?I know for a short time they went out of production but are being made again now.Cant find a website.Just wondering because there is one for sale in a store near me that seems to be optioned up to the max (bartolini p + mm,ebony board,gotoh bridge and tuners,walnut on maple body etc...).It is second hand so therefor must be of the older variety.Have included a pic of what I assume is the current top of the line model - the sb465.
  2. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    Ive never even heard of them, but they look beautiful.
  3. citizen

Jan 24, 2003
    I totaly agree with rougepom.
    It s kind of cheap tune basses.
    It s good basses at good price.
    Muse s bass player payed on it beafore pedulla.
  4. I was going to say it looks a lot like a Tune.
  5. mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    The second or third bass I ever owned was a used Bass Collection 4-string which I got about 15 years ago. They may very well have changed since then, but at the time I remember being impressed by its components (big Gotoh bridge, phenolic fingerboard, active PJ pups + electronics, etc).

My next bass after that was the instrument that has since become my #1, an early-70's Jazz Bass... and I was quickly (un)impressed by how thin, lifeless and sterile the Bass Collection bass sounded in comparison. Granted, many/most basses sound relatively weak in comparison to this particular Jazz bass, but I realized that the whole of an instrument is far greater than the sum of its parts... and my impression of the Bass Collection remained the same after I began playing and learning about other basses. In all, I remember it being a very small + light instrument which played OK, but unfortunately I was pretty unimpressed by the overall sound. Play it before you buy if you can.
  6. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    sergio crestana (ex-moonspell) recorded with a bass collection 5 string on 'darkness and hope.' it actually sounded really sweet. i'm not sure which model it was, but it had a p-j pup configuration.

7. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Kansas City
    I currently have a Bass Collection SB502 (Fretless). Yes, you are right! There is precious little info about them. Overall, mine is a pleasure to play but it does seem a bit on the "small" side but is built really well. Other than the overall size, I have no complaints whatsoever with mine....
  8. I'm not sure how old this post is, but I have a SB100 5-String BAss by BAss Collection...And Icouldn't be happier. I've tried many bassess in many stores..But for some reason I can't really find one I like more at teh end of the day... Sure..You get the classics with there amzing classic tone..But..I dunoo..This feels so great to me. MAybe I just lucked out..But this 24 Fret, Active, Solid Bass with Gotoh Tuners and Gotoh Bridge...Allows for some great low action and tone. I can go from warm fuzzy wooly to high tech almost medical trebly tone. NAyway..just my 2c (Plus, it looks so cool)
  9. heessels

Jan 3, 2005
    Well, I am familiar with Bass Collection basses. That is to say: the japanese ones. There are "fake" ones for sale. But none compare to the real stuff! ;)
    I started with a very heavy weight bass (forgot the name). It was a red monster, giving me a pain in the neck and left shoulder. :meh:
    Then I bought a new five-string bass-collection. Not the most expensive model, unfortunately. I didn't know how my bass-playing career would turn out. :confused:
    I was looking for a back-up instrument and wanted a similar piece of equipment. But I found that the company was out of business already a long time ago. So second hand it would be, but none to be found.
    Last month I spoke to a colleage who was leaving the company. He turned out to be bass-playing as well and would sell (part of) his gear, a.o. his.... Bass Collection 5-string!!!!!! (The expensive model!)
    So now I am a lucky bastard.... :smug: