Bass Collection: can anyone in music business get me some info?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rockin John, Jun 12, 2001.

1. After gettin' my new bass (SB310) I've learned that "Bass Collection" - or SGC if that's the parent company - have stopped making guitars altogether.

Yet the music press and the internet carry current reviews on these basses.

Can anyone please dig around to find out what's really going on here?

2. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    I was looking for an SB325 after finding a 2nd hand one in Denmark Street, I found a website that no longer exists, In the end I went back to the shop and bought a Soundgear because they are copies of the SDGR anyway... Sorry, that's no use at all but I'm surprised they went bust. They were really high quality, a bit expensive for a copy though... £500 for a fake SDGR. Anyway if you are anywhere near London go to Rokas Music in Denmark street, they always have a few 2nd hand ones. Might be able to help...
  3. Hello BassGimp.

No problem. Thanks for the trouble.

The '310 is actually second hand. It's mint and plays like really well so I'm not really bothered from that point of view. But, naturally, there concern if you spend your hard-earned only to find the maker (of whatever) has disappeared. And if I'd actually spent the new price of the '310 (£539 around here) I'd be well brassed off now.

To be honest (he said naively) I didn't realise B Coll were copies. Even so they really are nicely made and I'm quite happy.

I wasn't told that company had gone bust, just that it wasn't making guitars any more: may or may not be the same thing......unless you know different.

And, yes, I can confirm that the WWW you quoted doesn't work these days.

4. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    You seem to know about the same amount as me. Not having a go at them though... The one I played was gorgeous, a really nice five string. I have a passive SDGR now... Mmm, bluish purple...
  5. Hmmm...we obviously get a lower standard of bass collection here in Turkey.

OK, I don't like the style...I don't like Soundgear either. But Ibanez are in every respect MUCH better basses.

One thing I have noticed about bass collection basses here is that when a bassist using one starts gigging, he changes basses as soon as he can. They seem to have a built in mid-cut so great that it is almost impossible to be heard through the mix.

The ones I have looked inside have really cheap, trashy electronics as well.

They are cheap attempts to parody quality basses.

Anyway, sorry about that. I was just sounding off.

6. Hello Andy.

No problem mate: just tell it how you see it.

Perhaps it's just a matter of personal experience. I'm really not used to the general quality of mid / high priced instruments. But my bass really is nicely made as it appears to me.

The bit about the electronics is quite interesting, though. I was really pleased with the way my actives were built. (Electronics is my job). There's a nice printed circuit board with slik screened component designations and functions. Eg. All the pots' functions are described on the PCB. All the components are easily identifiable through colour codes, part numbers or whatever, and they are well mounted onto the PCB - not like on cheap Japanese radios, for example. The battery's fits properly in it's 'home'. The internal wiring and cabling is done to a neat and good standard and the cable ends are made-off in a professional manner. The control compartment is (at least partially) lined with some kind of screening paint and that extends to the back cover of the compartment. Really can't fault the electronics at all.

Perhaps Bass Collection basses sent to Turkey aren't very good.

Rockin John
  7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Actually the main distributor for these in the UK is "House Music" which is on the same site in Wapping as the Bass Centre. (phone 020 7265 1567)

The Bass Centre has loads of these basses and even seems to offer "custom" versions?? They have actually introduced a new "Bass Collection" range very recently - the "Jive" bass ,which looks very nice; so I don't see how they can have "gone bust"?

It may be they are just changing ranges and have "discontinued" certain models. I would ring up the Bass Centre and ask Grant or one of the others there about it and I'm sure they will give you the "bottom line"!
  8. Thanks V much Bruce. I've emailed them a short while ago for Grant's attention, including a copy of your post so he's all the info.

Whilst it's entirely possible that Bass Collection no longer exists, somehow I doubted it - a gut feeling or whatever reinforced by the fact that there are current bass reviews in the music media.

I'll post the results as and when the Bass Centre gets back to me.

Thanks again.

9. NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    I must agree about the electronic (well ... its sound) of the BassCol' basses (mine has Barts now, so it's a different matter :D ).
    But I won't qualify them as SoundGear copies.
    Even if the overall design approach is close to the Ibanez', they feel different IMO.
    My SB465 has a very solid and strong neck compared to my previous SoundGear(s).
  10. Hmmm...your description of what lies inside a Bass Collection control cavity bears no similarity to waht I have seen. I guess we get the BC equivalent of Squiers here....