1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass Collection SB301

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sixmax, Dec 5, 2005.

1. Sixmax

Sixmax

Dec 5, 2005
    Copenhagen
    Hey. I have a question. I would like to buy a Bass Collection SB130, and I only have to pay 315.8$ for it. Is that a nice price?? And what is the background behind "Bass Collection"?

2. Bass collection are a cheap brand of "exclusive looking" bass of absolutely stunning mediocrity.

I haven't seen any for years, which I consider a plus.

Spend your money on a good bass...even Ibanez are better.

3. pil

pil

Feb 17, 2005
    Pimlico, UK
    Yeah, i tend to agree with the bloke above.

Ive played a few in my time, an old friend used to collect them. Frankly they were rubbish.

Anyway if it helps you used to be able to get a brand new one from Cambridge Music in the UK for just over £300 (british pounds) - but i dont think they stock them anymore.

4. basadam

basadam

Nov 29, 2005
    Hey Andy,

This is "okant" from FenderForum. It's been a while since we've last talked. Are you still in Ankara?

I have two Bass Collections; SB461 and SB325 fretless (my first two basses; now I know better). The brand was not meant to be cheap, it's made in Japan and "for the price" it had one of the best constructions I've ever seen on a bass (visually). Once they were very popular in Europe, alas they didn't succeed and closed the business; however they are still building under Godlyke brand which sells for around $2000 apiece according to their website (www.godlyke.com). 4-string models have fast and comfy necks, always with an over-pronounced/annoying dead-spot @ 7th fret on G. The sound leaves much to be desired. They sound -while crystal clear- thinner than -say- a Fender; the "closer-to-bridge" pickup placement and weak-output pickups may be the cause. To compensate the weak-ouput, you can dramatically boost bass/treble at the expense of muddied sound.

To conclude, I would say that they'd make a great beginner bass because of the comfy neck & light-weight. Every once in a while I see one at ebay for $100 buy-it-now (which is cheaper than the sum of its parts, talking about Gotoh hardware); but $315 seems too steep even in my country. BTW, SB301 should have an alder body/rosewood fingerboard/black hardware.

Last comment: Would I buy one again? NO!

5. Paddy

Paddy

Apr 19, 2005
    Kent England
    Entering Nostalgia mode

Before my Warwick (my beautiful baby!!) I owned a honey SB325 many moons ago.

I loved the colour of it so I bought it - I had been playing for a few years and needed a step up instrument to progress with. It suited my needs then quite well.

As I grew I came to realise the electronics were crap so in went an EMG circuit.

A little later I found the improvements that can be made with pickups. A replacement set of gorgeous Kent Armstrong's went in.

The bass grew with me until I outgrew it which is where I found my Warwick nirvana (sorry bit big-headed there :oops: ). In the meantime I had around 5 years of happy Bass Collection life.

I wouldn't want another now but at the time - but at the time it was right for me.

6. Yes, I'm still here. Good to see you, Okan....the FenderForum is a thing of the past for me, as for many others, because of the....

well, let bygones be bgones.

I agree with your assessment. They were built, I think, to sound impressive in the showroom. But when you got them on stage, they disappeared.

There are better starter basses around. Like the cheaper Yamahas. Squier. Well, like almost anything, really.

I am slightly annoyed no one picked up my trolling jibe about Ibanez...

:D

7. pointbass

pointbass Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I had an SB310 for a while ..... actually, my wife found it at a garage sale and paid $25.00 for it in nearly pristine condition with the HSC :eek:

I never could get used to it, the body was very small for me and the neck was way too thin. Didn't sound bad, as I remember. I had it for sale in the classifieds here for a bit, but there was zero interest. I ended up giving it to my son when he moved to Portland OR (he's a percussionist and wanted to learn bass, as well). He's still got it .... wouldn't be surprised if it ended up coming back to me at some point ...

For me, I think there are better ways to spend your cash ... :cool:

[​IMG]

8. Sixmax

Sixmax

Dec 5, 2005
    Copenhagen
    Thank you guys. Your comments were very helpful.

Sixmax, Denmark