Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bass collection

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fishbrain, May 13, 2001.

1. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    what do you think of these? I have seen a nice bass collection 5 string, sky blue, £329. Do you think it is worth it?

2. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    Is it new ? What model is it ?

I have a BassCollection, a SB465, second hand and love it.
    But it has been upgraded with a Gotoh bridge and 2 bartolini's soapbars by the previous owner. So I won't be able to really judge a brand new one.
    It plays really well. The neck is thin and the string space really fits my play.
    The fingerboard is ebony and is really sweet under the fingers.
    My only grief : It's not a heavy bass but the balance is not perfect.

3. The bass collection instruments I have seen here in ankara tend to have a very poite, cut mids kind of sound and just disappear in the mix. People tend to shift them very quickly when they start gigging.

FWIW.

Andy

4. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    its brand spankin new and i'm not sure what model it is, i'll try and find out tho.

but im a a heavy band so do u think id b better with a different bass?

5. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    I must admit the other BassCollection basses I've tried (2 fretless SB3xx) where a little week in sound but they were playing well.
    I really love mine but it's upgraded so ...

What do you mean by "heavy" ? Metal ?

6. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    i mean like punk rock type stuff. eerm, like offspring - smash type stuff.

7. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    I'm not sure about a BassCollection for that kind of music, without changing the pups and/or preamp.

8. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    so should I give ibanez fives a closer look and skip this one then?

9. Hey Fish, by all means check out the Ibanez and any other brand you're halfway curious about. Even if you don't like them at least you'll have an opinion for future threads. Check out a couple that you don't think you'll like at all, you may be surprised.

Two Ibanez I'd recommend checking out are: The Ergodynes: really fast necks and comfortable to play, and The BTBs: Monster necks and a totally different sound from the Ergos.

Mike J.

10. In my experience, when you play Ergo's against BTB's you love one and hate the other. I'm a BTB man, and I will probably never buy an Ergo. But I have another bassist friend who loves Ergo's and hates BTB's.

However, we both don't like Soundgear:D

11. Doesn't ergo mean "therefore" in Latin?

Ergo, give me a BTB, Centurion.

I graduated Magna cum Laude and like to play my amp " a little louder."

Do you know why I know all this Latin?

I'm descended from the most famous Roman general of them all. You don't believe me?

A few weeks ago I was at a party with a Faith Hill look-a-like giving me the eye all night. When I finally
    grabbed her, the crowd exclaimed:

"Jewels seized her!"

Mike J.

12. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    I was gonna get a secondhand Bass Collection SB325 for £350 but I saw a SoundGear SR305 across the road for £250, both were secondhand and although the bass collection had active 'lectronics I went for the Ibanez cos it was cheaper and I felt it had a nicer sound, they're the same design; body and neckwise anyway, same spacing and shape... I preferred the feel of the Ibanez though, and the feel of £100 more in my pocket :)