Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Collective

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by rontalsaurus, Aug 19, 2002.

1. rontalsaurus

rontalsaurus

Aug 19, 2002
    Hey...
    I'm a cross-over from Harmony Central and I was wondering if anyone here knew anything about the Bass Collective.
    I'm not planning to be a professional musician, but I'd like to develop my ability to a professional level. I've been playing for about 2 1/2 years with a fairly strong theory background from past experiences taking musicology and theory courses in college. I'm currently working in science research and I'm looking after the new year to take break from science and do something else for awhile. One thing I had in mind was to go to music school and have someone bust my ass for a few months and really elevate my playing level. I'm a pretty decent player but I'm at the point where I need a stiff kick in the arse to get moving and push me to towards being an all-around solid player in a variety of genres and not just noodling around jamming with friends (and someone that can play jazz gigs :) ...I don't play any jazz currently, would like to...can walk lines but have no one to play with that would motivate me to learn standards and play through complex changes).

Does any one have any experience with the Bass Collective? Know anyone that attended? Would this be a decent fit with what I'm looking for? Everything on the website points to "yes"...but I'm fishing for more input.

Thanks,
    Andy

2. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    I would second what Ed sed, about looking into local colleges. Find a college near you that has the best music program, or more specifically the best Jazz program, and take some courses on the graduate level.

I'm currently getting ready to do a one year Jazz studies program at SUNY Purchase, which came highly recommend to me by a pianist that I know, that does the pre-show at Birdland every Thursday.

3. rontalsaurus

rontalsaurus

Aug 19, 2002
    Well...maybe I should restate my motivations...
    I have no desire to make it as a professional musician, if it happens by chance...then so be it...but I'm returning to a career in medicine in the future and this is more intended for...personal edification. The money issue is more of a secondary consideration. I'll make do, and part of this involves me wanting to move to NYC for a short stint and get to know the city. I'm also not looking to play exclusively jazz, just learn a bit how to do it and feel comfortable having to sit in on a jazz gig. I'd like to use jazz more as a medium for studying and improving my chops for expressing my self in genres more amenable to my style ("jamband" stuff and funk). Basically I'm just looking for a fun place to study for a few months, get my ass kicked into being a more studied and semi-professional player and further my interest in music and my general playing ability. So that said...do I fit in at the collective? Has anyone actually attended the collective or know people that have?
    Thanks,
    ANdy