Bass color

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by SLiGhTLy_STooPiD, Dec 27, 2000.

1. I know the color shouldn't matter as much as the bass, but I got a Fender Jazz MIM for X-mas. A month earlier, my parents asked me what I wanted, and the first words that came out of my mouth were "F-F-Fender Jazz in midnight blue" then I go into a state of drooling. Well I've had it for 2 days and it's great but the color makes me wanna get rid of it...
    Considering it's called midnightBLUE, it looks purple. Not my choice of color. I'll probably end up punking it up (the sticker remedy). I don't want to do that at all.
    Does anyone else own a midnight blue bass by Fender? Please tell me you're not as disapointed as I am...
  2. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Just glue a big Barney doll to the headstock. :D

If it really bugs you see if the store will take it back and get something different, if you wanna puke every time you see it it won't inspire you to play. IMO you can't go wrong with black or sunburst, unless you get a crappy burst job.
  3. jrock111

Oct 10, 2000
    I seen the MIM Fenders in midnight blue that actually look blue. Once in awhile with the MIM Fenders you have a few lemons floating around with inconsistent paint jobs. Hopefully you can take it back to the store and pick one out yourself.
  4. Heh...they got it from Musician's Friend. I took off the plastic on the pick guard and everything. I don't think that's exchangable.
  5. Skip

Mar 22, 2000
    Bronxville, NY

Check the return policy on the invoice that came with the bass.

I just got a black MIM Jazz. I liked the sunburst but Manny's was out of them and I couldn't justify the cost or the wait (more the wait actually)

Good luck

6. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    I got the idea for this while switching between a Christina Aguilera video on eMpTy-Vee
    and "War of The Worlds" on AMC (Sylvia!).

There was a predominance of red and white in the C/A video.
    I thought that looked cool. WOTW was all about Martians.

Warmoth offers a wood type called "Satine" (Church lady: could it beeeee?....)
    It is also known as "Bloodwood" :eek: . I figure, you make a neck out of
    Purpleheart with a fretless, Bloodwood fingerboard. Stick that on a body
    painted "fire-engine" red. Throw in a pickup with a creme-colored cover.
    Whaddya' call this he**ish creation?...The Angry Red Bass.

("Angry Red Planet" was a semi-cheesy sci-fi flick from the 50's).
  7. My MIM Jazz is 'Midnight Blue' and sometimes it's purple, sometimes it is v. dark blue, depending on the light. I bought it in a shop, so that I knew what I was getting. I didn't know it was called midnight blue until I checked out the Fender website. I like it as it stands out from all the black and sunburst jazzes out there.
  8. dytakeda

Jul 18, 2000
    smoothgroover is right... why be the same as everybody else? You don't want to make music the same as everyone else, right? Maybe one day, you'll be known as the guy with the purple bass. Part of your image!

9. Barfly

Dec 27, 2000
    GTA, Canada
    I have the same bass, MIM Jazz Midnight Blue (Purple). I let my wife choose the color. I originally bought it for a back-up bass to my MIM Jazz Sunburst, foolishly thinking that if one J goes down, another J will simply take it's place. Man these basses are two different animals altogether. Anyway, back to the color. I went to Home Depot and bought silver marble textured spray paint, removed the white pick-guard, and painted the pick-guard silver. I know it sounds stupid, but it looks pretty good. Originally I was going have a stainless steel pg made, polished up nicely, and slap it on the blue bass. That fell through but would have looked amazing live, with all the lights reflecting off it. It took a while but I am used to it now.
  10. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    here's some bloodwood...

the red on the top of the body is bloodwood. it's cut to look like it's dripping when i'm wearing it.

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    ... oh no ... oh no ...
  12. So far, I've discovered this many colors of the fruity mysterious purple Fender:
    lt purple
    dk purple
    dk blue
    lt purple/blue blue ....??
    There shall be more. It all depends on the lighting, ofcourse. I won't be slapping stickers on, that's for sure. On a higher note, I THINK I LIKE IT :eek:
  13. furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    I saw a picture of a bass coloured Midnight Wine Jazz Bass on that's making me drool. If the thing were Fretless, I would have bought it by now. ;) It looks gorgeous, so I was wondering if this colour-shifting thing was limited to Midnight Blue or if both of Fender's Midnight colours do the same thing.

On a related note, I really dig the idea of a colour-changing bass. Cool stuff! :D

My current bass is a very nice shade of off-white that I dig very much. If I'm not mistaken, someone else on this forum has a bass which is practically identical to mine, even in colour... and has a picture uploaded somewhere on the 'net. Let's see it! I actually have a picture of me holding my bass, but I don't feel like pulling a JT, since my bass is comparitively blah. ;)
  14. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    How about that old Rickenbacker with a built-in color organ? [​IMG]
    There was a pic in a recent BP in "weird basses".

JT. Why am I not surprised? :p . Sweet dude!

It's all good :D ! Part of the whole alchemy is the visual.
  15. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i love those old rickenbacker "light show" guitars! those things were cool.

i love rics in general - i wish they made a 7 string :D
  16. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    If Mr. Bill (Conklin) doesn't go for it...

Doctor Hambone...Paging Doctor Hambone...Doctor Hambone to E/R - $TAT ! :p
  17. oddentity

oddentity Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    I just got a MIM Jazz fretless in midnight wine for Christmas. :D It is a beautiful color- a very dark burgundy that almost looks black in low light (though it is not a dramatic color change). I love it. I'm thinking about getting a metallic brushed silver pickguard for it; I think it would go well with the color.

Funny you mention having an off-white bass- my fretted MIM Jazz is cream colored, and I remember seeing one or two others on this board with the same axe. Must be a popular color! Mine is slightly customized with a Gotoh bridge, cream Dimarzio pickups and a funky mandala sticker on the pickguard... one of these days I'll get some pics of 'em...
  18. penstock

Aug 10, 2000
    I bought a MIM P-Bass thats midnight blue. It looked really blue in the shop, but in the light at home it looked purple. I sorta didn't like it at first, but now I do. I do like it better when it looks blue, though.
  19. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The color can grow on you if you love playing that bass.

I own an MIA Fender P that's black on black, my absolutely least favorite Fender color. I got it used dirt cheap to use as a beater but it was so nice that it is now my main gigging electric. I still hate the color but I love the bass so I don't care any more.

I also have another P that's transparent green, I actually really dig that color now but the day I bought it all I cared about was the blowout price I paid and although the store had 25 basses at that price, all were the same color and I thought it looked really stupid.

Remember, you PLAY the bass you don't look at it.

SLiGhTLy_STooPiD, enjoy your new Jazz.

20. furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    odd: Did you mail-order that, or buy it from a shop? I'm looking at doing a mail-order over the Internet, but I've heard how dodgy that can be with MIM Fenders...

Cool to know that the Midnight Wine colour-shifts just that tiniest bit. Now I really want one. ;) Black and Red are two of my favourite colours, so now I can have a bass that can be either! Hehehe. Incidentally, my stage band "uniform" is an aloha shirt which features red, black, and white prominently... and my school's colours are red, black, and white! So I think I'll leave the pickguard on, just for irony's sake. ;)