Bass Combo Amp Advice.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BorisTheSpider, Apr 19, 2004.

1. BorisTheSpider

Apr 19, 2004
    Hi there. I've decided to buy a new bass combo amp since my current Stagg 20W sounds ****. I can probably spend up to £250(about 450 USD), I also use an Ibanez GSR200 bass guitar. I'm not really bothered about power since I'm just wanting to practice, maybe something like 30W - 70W. Sound is more improtant to me, of course.
    I've been looking at the following:

Ashdown Five Fifteen
    Gallien Krueger Backline 110
    Roland Cube 30
    Marshall B65

If there's any others that you'd recommend or if any of the above aren't very good then I'll be happy to listen.

2. You in the U.S.? If you're considering a Cube 30 for $280 or so, there are still Roland DB-500s refurbished at Sam Ash for $319 (160w, digital effects, 12" plus tweeter). I just got one and it's AWESOME. I can't imagine that the GK or smaller Roland would touch it for the $ you have to spend.

Hmm--you must not be in the U.S., because you're talking about spending $450 US for an ashdown five fifteen, while here that would get you a new 300w ashdown MAG combo, shipped free.
  3. BorisTheSpider

Apr 19, 2004
    I'm from the UK where everything is much more expensive, hehe :p :( .
  4. basssax

Oct 14, 2003
    I have used a Behringer Ultrabass 1200 for a year now and have NO complaints. In Europe you should be able to get them. Here they go for $250. It has played rock in halls holding as many as 250 people, no PA. I will admit turning thE SUCKER UP FOR THOSE INSTANCES. When there are more people than that, I bring two.
  5. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    If you're gonna get a GK Backline, make sure you get the 12... The 10 sounds really thin, IMHO... Personally, I'd either try the Ashdown,,, or go with an Ampeg BA series...
  6. Warwick player

Warwick player

Dec 31, 2002
    Bucks, UK
    I was in the same situation as you about a year ago, in fact I had the same guitar as you.

I did however have a bit more money than in your budget and I bought the bigger version to a B65 a B150 for a resonable £450.

My advice would be to buy the Marshall B65 as they have an excellent customer service and they are built like a brick out house! I think the B150 is a bit over the top just for a practise amp but do you consider doing gigs?

7. Unless your GOING to try them out, think twice about the GK Backline. This is only my preferance but I hated the 12 and 15. Sounded muddy and distorted I like my Fender Bassman just fine though :)
  8. BorisTheSpider

Apr 19, 2004
    I doubt I'll be gigging any time soon, I want to practice more first. If I did start gigging then I'd guess it would be near the end of the year, depends on how things go really, heh.

As for the GK Backline, I'll probably take it of my list, I've read a few reviews and judging from them there's better amps out there for around the same price.
  9. you probably know this, but you can get a RT ticket to the us for supercheap and fly over to buy yourself an amp ;)

How the %$! can ashdown stuff--which is a UK COMPANY for chrissakes--be so much more expensive over there?
  10. BorisTheSpider

Apr 19, 2004

I don't know why but, practically everything in the UK is over priced and has been for a long time now. The Ashdown equipment would cost even more from within a music shop rather than online! Crazy, eh :eek: !
  11. The GK Backline 112 is a really nice amp. It used to have a lame sounding speaker in it, But that was changed about a year ago. Also, it's much more power than the other amps on your list so you could still gig with it if you needed to. BTW, the electronic components in it are the same as what's in the pro series GK amps.