Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass combo amp recommendation

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mikeluch, Dec 30, 2004.

1. mikeluch

mikeluch Gold Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2004
    Ocala, FL
    I am new to this forum, but have been playing bass on and off for 25 years. I have recently gotten together with some guys and put together a garage band and am looking at a new amp. I play anything from classic rock to Matchbox 20, to surf music. I am looking for a portable amp and need some recommendations. I was looking at the Nemesis 210 and 212, also the Ampeg B 100R. I know that there is some differences in wattage and speakers, but I am looking for some input on these or other amps. I play 4 string basses, such as G&L ASAT, JB1, Rick 4003 and Fender Precisions. Any recommendations on what amp might fit would be appreciated.

2. I would try a mesa boogie venture combo. You can get a 1x15 or a 2x10 speaker configuration. I have one with two tens and it sounds amazing.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA

Eden Metro.

-Mike

4. yorkville

5. Gallien-Krueger 400RB 2x10 combo.

6. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I recently purchased a Peavey BAM 210 which is just an outstanding amplifier, even before you consider it's "only" a 2x10. It handles the B string with a vengeance and thunders on its own even without an extension cabinet. To say I'm impressed would be a huge understatement. You should really consider one of these.

7. mikeluch

Nov 30, 2004
    Ocala, FL
    Thanks for the feedback. I have read some posts regarding the Yorkville and Ashdown combos, but I am not sure of the reliability, particularly the Ashdown.
    Also, I do like the classic Ampeg sound and was wondering which would be nearest in sound? I most likely won't be playing any clubs so I don't know how much power I need.
    I also do want something that is relatively portable and don't know if the Eden, Yorkville etc fit the bill. Thanks again for the help. I have been out of the equipment loop for a few years.

8. tubster

tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Southwest Spain
    Genz Benz NeO 400T - fantastic! Take a look at this link -www.genzbenz.com

Excellent tone and versatility and is plenty loud for me.

9. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Fender Bassman 200.

Musician's Friend has them for $350 new.

10. mikeluch

Nov 30, 2004
    Ocala, FL
    By the way, I forgot to mention I would like to spend less than $750

11. Genz Benz or Nemises (Eden) would be where I would look.

12. Bassstud1

Bassstud1 Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2001
    LaPorte Indiana USA
    I searched for the right amp for over 6 months and ended up buying an Eden. The other band menbers said they could notice the difference in my sound. The most important thing is to buy one that you like the sound of.

13. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    If you like the Ampeg sound look at an Ampeg BA115(100 watts) or the BA115HP(220 watts) They also have the BA210HP (also 220 watts).

I just got a BA115 and I love this thing. But I'm probably going to return it for a BA115HP because I don't think it's going to be loud enough.

14. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    With all the criteria that you listed, my vote goes to the Ampeg B-100R.

15. Sparkie

Sparkie

Nov 15, 2004
    I test drove a Roland DB 500 over the holiday week and I have to say I liked it a lot. It has plenty of volume to compete with a loud guitarist and drums without muddying up. The tone was as shapable as you'd like.

If I hadn't already decided to go with a head/cab combo beforehand I'd find one of these. It's a sweet amp! I may still keep my eye out for a used one.

16. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    For the money, the Nemesis line present great value. They're loud. They're portable. You can always dial in a good sound in just about any room. And they're very reliable. I have the 2-10 model and I have no valid reason to change other than to have something a little louder for some of the bigger rooms we're playing.

Good luck with your return to playing. Have fun.

bmc