1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass combo amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bassman1971, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Bassman1971

Bassman1971

Nov 4, 2013
    I'm looking for a reliable good sounding bass combo for around $500.00. I'm interested in the Eden ec210, and the Gallien Krueger mb115. Have heard about tweeter noise on GK, and of course the Eden doesn't have a tweeter. What you guys think? Play mostly rock with some altered tuning so really want it to cut thru the mix, however still provide the punch.

2. Neuroman

Neuroman BHPD - Forget about me. Save yourselves! Supporting Member

Oct 17, 2013
    Sunol, CA
    I would go with the GK MB210 vs the MB115. Generally, 2X10 is cleaner, punchier and more versatile. A single 15 can get mushy even on a GK

My point of reference and experience is with RB series heads and combos and NOT the MB line. So, take it for what its worth as I do not know how it translates across these platforms. I have a GK big rig for large venues but my practice amp and small venue amp of choice is my 1001rb 210 combo. Great amp. Sophistication and control over tone including ability to maximize growl without destroying the high end spectrum is pretty unique to GK in my view.

I have heard about GK tweeter noise on forums and reviews but I have never experienced it other than when I plug in to a real "dirty" power source. GK has a sophisticated and sensitive amplification system compared to other brands with more brute force so you will know it when you have a dirty power source. Funny how other systems I have played with more brute force like Carvin are extremely noisy and dirty yet don't have the reputation for it. With that said, if you buy a GK and it is noisy across power sources then take it back and exchange it for a different (same model) amp right away. One common theme is that if you happen to get a noisy one, it is really noisy and will not go away.

Hope this helps.

3. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    If you by a MB Combo you can always add a MBP cabinet to expand your rig should you need it in the future. That way you've got flexibility.

TD

4. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    A used SWR Silverado or even a Redhead would do you better. IMHO, with Eden being a Washburn product, I am so sketchy on them. Of course with SWR of late being Fender or even worse, out of buisness, used preFenders would be the best. Gk's are pretty good. I had the 112 kickback for a while, but it just did not have enough umph. The SWR Strawberry Blonde was really cool, but again no power. But that is all going to depend on your situation.

5. OP: The GK MB115 amps sound great - I've been very happy with mine.

6. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
  7. mccartneyman

mccartneyman

Dec 22, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Managing Editor, Bass Guitars Editor, MusicGearReview.com
    Look into the TC Electronic BG250 combo. Older one are going for less than $300 with the introduction of newer model that adds a few features. 35 pounds, 250 watts, 115, bulit-in tuner, tube overdrive simulation and the ability to load one of the TC Tone Print effects, inlcluding a very nice compressor. I bought mine last year and it has replaced my Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 for most gigs. Nice old school tone (compared favorably side-by-sid with a vintage Ampeg B15), loud, easy to transport. It has played everything from church to loud rock gigs for me and even outdoor stuff with PA support.

8. I'd do the Eden Time Traveler or Metro combos. The SWR Silverado, Redhead, or Black beauty combos or the GK RB series combos. Mesa combos too.

I've had and played for quite some time all of these and they are solid and deliver. I went back to the Eden Metro with an additional 2x10 XLT. Personally, tried the new technology stuff and I'm thrilled that it works for everyone but it didn't do it for me.

9. My usual response....

Try GC house brand Acoustic B-200 combo..best bang for the buck in my use and opinion..D I for PA reinforcementg if needed.

Broad tonal pallette: 6-band semi parametic. 1X15 and horn, with horn on-off switch.

I play all styles..fills my every need.

I also bought B-200 head / 1x15 cab rig as well. Actually lighter to load as seperates, even though it is 2-load/ trips.

I tried them all.. GC Acoustic was only combo that didn't fail on B-String.

Let your ears have the vote..wallet gets the veto..and tell us what you decided and why, please.

GOOD LUCK!!

10. Bassman1971

Bassman1971

Nov 4, 2013
    I actually have a 2-15 acoustic brand cabinet now with an old Randall RB125 now ( like the old sound) but was looking for a smaller combo amp weight wise (I'm not as young as I used to be) lol, but still want that bottom end and articulation for the high notes. Unfortunately I am bound by Amazon right now cause I bought a TC Electronics Bg250 and 3 weeks in it crapped out on me. Sounded great but sturdy, I don't believe so

11. Bassman1971

Bassman1971

Nov 4, 2013
    Needless to say turned me off to TC products.

12. Bassman1971

Bassman1971

Nov 4, 2013
    I'm humbly going to you guys on the matter. Admittedly not much of a "tech." Guy. Just want a good sturdy combo that sounds good for $500.00 and unfortunately must go thru Amazon to do it.

13. Bassman1971...

I also own a G C Acoustic head/ cab seperates, as their combo is just a LITTLE too heavy for me. I turned 60. last last month, so I fully understand...

As seperates.. cab is easily light enough.. head is light..just takes two trip/loads if by your self...

Neat thng about having the two is utilizing my A-B-Y box between them for effects/ dry rigs. Low-Z DI OUT to PA if needed.

14. huckleberry1

huckleberry1

Jul 1, 2013
    Mesquite, Texas
    student
    I actually have the GK 115 II combo & bought the GK MBP 410 Powered extension cab and I am way happy

15. Bassman1971

Bassman1971

Nov 4, 2013

Not sure if Amazon sells those though

16. Scottkarch

Scottkarch

Sep 11, 2012
    Chicago
    seconding the TCE BG250 I have the 115. It's light, and loud enough for many live bars without PA support. Has DI out in case you need PA support. If you don't need as much volume and bass, the 112 would probably fit many people's needs. I would have got a 112 if it had been available 1 year ago. They are light and pretty loud for a combo and affordable.. The GK route and the external powered cabinets is a pretty compelling option.

17. Bassman1971

Bassman1971

Nov 4, 2013
    Had one crapped out on me after 3 weeks!!! Think it was just coincidence? Should I try another?

18. Scottkarch

Scottkarch

Sep 11, 2012
    Chicago
    Well. I've had mine since December last year. I play 1-2 gigs a month and practice 1-2 times a week. I've played on a hot day in the sun.. amp was so hot it nearly burned my hand touching the metal, I've played a whole gig at nearly max volume a few times. It's the only TC Electronic amp I've ever owned, but I don't coddle my equipment. I am rough with it and it's holding up well.... and is light and easy to move around.

As I said. after testing the 112 that just came out.. I would have purchased the 112 if it had been available, and just made sure I went through the PA for bigger places. Then the amp is even a little smaller and lighter than the 15.

Based on how much I like mine, I say give it another chance. Reading TB it sounds like ANY amp model has a few lemons. Buy from GC and you have an easy way to return it. Just my 2c. I wish I could afford a MarkBass 112, but it's just too expensive for me..

19. Kcz5o

Kcz5o

Apr 1, 2013
    I had my BG250 about six months. I think it lasted so long because I only played it at shows and only had about 10 -15 shows. It froze up on me last weekend. It is still under warranty but it makes me real nervous because I have heard so many other complaints about similar issues. I checked on shipping and it is about 100 dollars to send it. I think I am going to just take out the head unit and send it and hopefully they are ok with that. I ordered a Carvin microbass amp that should be here tomorrow. Hopefully that works out ok. I don't make enough money playing to be replacing amps every six months.

20. Bassman1971

Bassman1971

Nov 4, 2013
    Thx Scottkarch, I love the markbass as well, but not exactly $500.00 lol. Think I'll go with the Gk, sorry I'm sure the TC has served you well, and it sounds great, but just left a bad taste in my mouth. I'll let you know how it goes