Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bass combo amps for $600 or less

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Brad Barker, Apr 13, 2001.

1. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    What is your pro (or just plain experienced) opinion as to which is the best?

Three that really interest me are the SWR Workingman's 12, the G-K 400RB 1x12, and the Nemesis 1X12.

I play using lots of different right and left hand techniques, such as slap, tap, harmonic tapping, plain ol' fingerstyle, aggressive flea-style fingerstyle, etc.

One very important factor is portability. One reason I dislike my current combo is the inconvenience of transporting it. the Crate 1x15 is a pain to carry (Just ask my dad!)!

2. ASR

ASR

Apr 2, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Those are all excellent brands. The only ones I have ever played are the SWR and the G-K. Both have great sounds. As far as reliability, I'm not sure. I have never owned any of them. If I'm not mistaken, they are all in the 70 - 80 pound range and pretty much the same dimensions, so portability won't be that difficult.

3. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
  4. Reid

Reid

Aug 25, 2000
    Oakville, Ontario
    i doubt those combos are 70 pounds. wm15 is only 60, the 12 is much much smaller.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The GK is 58lbs, the SWR is 47 lbs, and the Nemesis is 46 lbs.

The SWR isn't very loud. The GK and Nemesis should be noticeably louder.

6. I really liked a Nemesis combo I tried out a couple of weeks ago. I think it was a 15" speaker. It sounded pretty good IMO. How 'bout the 2x10's version?

7. Take a look at the Fender Bassman line....they really came through on this one. Just picked up my Bassman 100 and i love it. (15" driver w/ piezo horn) very very tight.

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I'd look at an Ampeg BA-115. For what you gain in sound vs. what little more it weighs that a 12 vs. how much it "doesn't " cost, it might be of interest to you.

9. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Ive also got the BA-115.Very nice amp!It's a bit heavy at 62lbs but it sounds great and is fairly loud for 100 watts.The only thing i dislike about it is theres no ext cab jack.The 112 is pretty much the same but smaller/lighter/less power.Of the ones mentioned so far ive tried them all.The Ampeg sounds better to me and has a 5 year transferable warrenty.Its a nice selling point should you decide to upgrade to something larger.Also the 5 position "style" switch gives you a greater variety of tones than the others.This makes it more versatile for different music/band situations.Theres nothing it cant do fairly well.It's also cheaper than most!I got mine for 350+tax brand new not that long ago.Good luck!

10. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
    you might check out GK's mb150 - it's 1 12", 100W, 13.7"Wx15"Hx8.5"D and weighs 24lbs. you can add an extension 12", and then have 150W. i've played thru these in stores, and it's just amazing the kind of tone quality and fullness these amps have for their size. you can even get a shoulder bag for 'em.

11. foolfighter24

foolfighter24 Guest

Apr 22, 2000
    Arizona
    Crate has a brand spankin new amp based on their BFX100 that has a Tweeter (Its the BFX100T) and some wheels and a handle (built like luggage). Just thought I'd mention this. Only 60 pounds, has a 15 inch speaker, and good sound. And about $500. Just some info there. Just went to stores a couple weeks ago.

12. Carvin makes a 2x10 that's rated at 600(!) watts. It's a little more than $600, but considering the watage.... I have a BA-115 and I'm pretty happy with it. It does hiss a bit, so recording might be tough.

13. Jman

Jman

Mar 24, 2000
    Waterport,NY
    Check out Genz Benz at the Bass Palace,www.basspalace.com
    They offer Genz Benz and "I think there the best secret out there".
    Plenty of headroom and you can add a cabinet in the future.If youre looking for clean sound this is it.