1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass combo - help choose pls...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Art1606, Nov 27, 2019.

1. Art1606

Art1606 Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2019
    Hey guys,
    I'm looking for a small bass combo. A small cabinet is also an option but i'm not sure if i can get the amp head and cabinet in the same price range - up to $350.

The combo/cabinet should be lightweight and 12"-15" max. I did some basic research. Below is the small list of bass combos in the same price range. I hope they are all dual voltage. Please add to the list, share your thoughts and ideas, and help me choose:
    1. Acoustic B100C 1X12 100W
    2. Bugera BXD12 1,000W 1x12
    3. Hartke KB12 Kickback 12 HyDrive Speaker 500w
    4. Fender Rumble 100 1x12
    5. TC Electronic BG250-112 250W 1x12
    6. Warwick BC80 80W 1x12
    Hartke KB15 in action:

Ampeg BA115 - Korean lang. Music starts at minute 6:00:

Thank you all, Art.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
    iagtrplyr likes this.
  2. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    Fender Rumble

Qlanq, craig0316, Frankula and 12 others like this.
  3. Art1606

Oct 6, 2019
    Why Rumble? Thanks

4. I have a Hartke Kickback 12, which is a great little combo for the money. The aluminum cone does give it a brighter sound, but the EQ section is quite usable and you can get a decent array of tones out of it. The kickback design of the box is a highly handy feature as well. As long as you're not planning on using it without PA support for bigger gigs, the power is pretty decent as well. The only real gripe I've ever had with it was that it's carpet and not tolex!

I don't use it much anymore because it's wouldn't be quite enough to keep up with my current gigs (a 14-piece rock/funk covers horn band and a couple sub gigs for 80's/wedding & event bands). I used it enough that the driver finally started to give up after almost 17 years of solid regular use! It's currently waiting for a driver replacement, just need to call Hartke! I've been quite impressed with how it kept on chugging for so long, I definitely put it through it's paces!

Definitely worth the money!

Pros:
    - kickback design
    - simple, usable EQ
    - Hartke's shape circuit for quick tone/sound adjustments
    - solid sound
    - good build quality

Neutral:
    - aluminum cone gives some nice zingy definition, but may take some getting used to if you've never tried one

Cons:
    - carpet instead of tolex
    - not neodymium, so not the lightest combo amp (still easily manageable though)

5sg.

Heavy Blue, dralionux and Art1606 like this.
  5. Art1606

Oct 6, 2019
    Thanks a lot. Truly appreciate your info. Art.

fivestringgecko likes this.
  6. I’ve used a Rumble 100 for over 2 years. It’s light, crazy loud (for what it is) and hasn’t shown a single issue. I personally like the vintage tone the Rumbles have, but not all do.

To your list I’d add GK MB 112 ii. 200w and a little more clarity and punch over the Rumble. $550 new but I’ve seen them for $350 used. If/when my Rumble craps out, I plan on replacing it with a GK

Obrad Lacarac, jfh2112 and Art1606 like this.
  7. Ps what kind of music do you play? What other amps do you like?

nixdad and Art1606 like this.
  8. Art1606

Oct 6, 2019
    I do not play rock much. I'm basically just starting playing again after years long pause and trying to get something light but good enough for home and maybe small club. Thank you.

MCF and alanloomis1980 like this.
  9. dramatwist

dramatwist

Sep 27, 2019
    ...I like the Acoustic, but only your ears can tell you the truth...

Iristone, nixdad and Art1606 like this.
  10. Art1606

Oct 6, 2019
    That's true, only ears... Why do you like the Acoustic to compare to others? Thanks.

11. dramatwist

dramatwist

Sep 27, 2019
    ...the best way to describe it is "warmth"... but it can give you the "Jaco tone" as well...

MCF and Art1606 like this.
  12. jblock

jblock Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2004
    CT
    I think he’s talking about the older Kickback. The latest one is not carpeted and has a bit less aluminum in the speaker.

MCF and Art1606 like this.
  13. bhendrix

bhendrix

May 2, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Do you have a local music store so you could audition some of these amps? That would be best way to go as only you know what that sound is you want. If that's not an option, then I'd make sure and buy from a dealer with generous return policy.

Of the combos you listed, the Fender will be the lightest. I think all of them are great choices - they all will have their own "flavor" - so if you're able to try some out before you buy, that'd be the way to go.

For me - I'd get the Rumble! ;)

14. Low84

Low84 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    I currently own the TC BG250-112 combo and it's great. Super-affordable... great sounds... reliable... customer service has been rock-solid whenever I've had a question for those folks. TonePrint effects are KILLER!

15. Very true, and thanks for the clarification! The new Kickback 12 is a 500 watt Hydrive (the aluminum/paper cone combination). Probably some minor differences/improvements aside from those two things as well.

(I hope I can still get a driver for my Kickback... I better call them soon!)

5sg.

jblock and Art1606 like this.
  16. Wesley R

Wesley R Gold Supporting Member

I like the Hartke, my wife bought the Rumble for me. The Rumble has done everything I needed.

Art1606 and alanloomis1980 like this.
  17. Art1606

Oct 6, 2019
    Thank you. Is this punchy enough? Muddy?

18. Lowend65

Lowend65 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    Art1606 likes this.
  19. Art1606

Oct 6, 2019

I did now ). Thank you. A bit more expensive than others.