Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bass combo off the floor

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kcaj, Jan 22, 2005.

1. kcaj

kcaj

Jan 9, 2005
    Any advantage in getting my bass combo off the floor?ie milk crate or something?

2. It will hit your ears instead of your feet, so you should be able to hear it better.

Downside is you will recieve less low end response.. i think.

3. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Putting it directly on the floor gives you more low end through what is known as "acoustic coupling". This can be good or bad, depending on the room and how you like your sound.

Combos will produce more low end when on the floor by using the floor to resonate the low frequencies. If you put it up on something and get it closer to your ears, you will hear it better, but you will also lose a little of the low end you'd otherwise get from the floor.

What you put it on, if you raise it makes a difference as well. I put my 210 combo on our light rack case. It is about two feet high by two feet wide and three feet long. My cab couples with the case and the case couples with the floor, so I do still get some acoustic coupling and maintain some of that low end, though it's raised up higher.

There is no one perfect place to put your combo. It really depends on the room you play in. Experiment with different things. In very bright rooms I sometimes put it right on the floor. In very boomy rooms, or rooms where the stage floor itself is very boomy, I will put it on crates as they don't couple with the floor or cabinet and this helps eliminate a lot of the boominess.

Play around with it. Where and how high you place it, and what you place it on makes a big difference in your sound.

4. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    On small gigs, or at rehearsals, I put my XS400TC (400W 2x10 combo) on a Yorkville TAS-1 (it's an angled amp stand, originally intended for guitar amps, but works fine with any closed back combo amp!) Angles the speakers up towards me at about a 45 degree angle.

On larger gigs, I'll use an Auralex GRAMMA ("Gig & Recording Amp & Monitor Modulation Attenuator"), especially if the stage is hollow...cuts the resonance and tightens up the tone...not so much to raise things closer to ear level (usually using the XC808 8x8 on the big gigs, so that's not an issue...), more to keep my tone from going flabby and resonating in such a way as to cause the sound guy to have a stroke... :rolleyes: :D As Sundogue sez, acoustic coupling can be good, or bad...with the GRAMMA, it's always good!

5. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    I use an axman amp stand like what revgroove uses. When I did, it filled the room(cathedral ceiling in church) much better on it's own than when it was on a carpetted platform. I have pa. support now but still use it cause I can point it at my ears instead of my legs. It's also less directional whereas on the floor, it tends to be stronger where it's pointed.

6. Grazer5

Grazer5

Oct 24, 2004
    Winnipeg, Canada
    I've been playing with a SWR Baby Blue II for ten years and it has always sounded better up in the air. I've also made a small stand to tilt it like a wedge monitor and that worked okay, but usually I play on very small stages so I put it up on top of my PA rack which is about 3 ft. tall. This way it's right at ear level and I don't have to crank it as much because it goes through the PA anyway. Last night I did the same with my new MarkBass 102 and it was awesome! :hyper: