Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Combo Poll

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by steve2, Sep 5, 2003.

1. Ampeg B100R

49 vote(s)
    68.1%
  2. Fender Bassman 100

4 vote(s)
    5.6%
  3. Peavey TNT 115

19 vote(s)
    26.4%
  1. steve2

steve2

Sep 23, 2001
    Piney Flats, TN
    I am wanting to upgrade Combo amps from my current Laney RBW 100.(65 watts) My 3 choicesright now is the Bassman 100, Ampeg B100R, and Peavey TNT 115.

Thanks for your input.

Steve

2. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I'd go with the bassman. If you can save more money though, I'd say checkout the Peavey 115 Combo.

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Ashdown make some kickin' combos

4. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Ampeg B100R. Period.

5. I played the B50R, and it's the best combo I've ever heard (in my opinion).

6. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    The Ampeg B100R is one of the best sounding combos out there(for the price). I don't think the others in your poll can compare. Ampeg period.

7. Fender is Junk,and Ampeg is overrated. Get the TNTank

:D

IMO of course:oops:

8. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    The TNT's a great amp, but I'd rather a Combo 115, if he's willing to spend a bit more. The Combo 115's a great 'first gigging amp' as it can power another cabinet, has great tone right out of the box, and will get you heard with drums and everything playing.

9. MattyN

MattyN

May 26, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    i had peavey database with 1 15 in it and it was suprisingly fat...

10. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I'd certainly believe that. Those are in high demand though, from what I gather from peavey.com forum members.

If one could be found though... :)

11. I agree with MattyN and crawlingeye I've got a Peavey Databass, they're kinda hard to find but mine was inexpensive (of course we're talking used, they quit making them six or eight years ago). I gave $225 for mine. 450 watts (yep!) into a 15 inch Black Widow. Only complaint is that the speaker was getting pushed kinda hard, so speaker casualties were common. Compact size, but heavy (hey what'dya expect). And Peavey customer support was great. Mine was missing a couple of knobs, so I emailed Peavey asking how much the knobs would cost. Two days later an envelope came in the mail with the two knobs....free of charge. Add that to the good luck I've had with other Peavey gear, and they've got me heartily recommending Peavey!!!

12. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Ok maybe those Peavey combos sound fat and stuff, but compared to the Ampeg, the sound is compressed and untrue to the real sound of the bass......I know about it, I HAD one.

13. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    MM, im actually kind of surprised to see the ampeg winning 9/6 over peavey. I own the Ampeg, and love the tone. I have used the peavey (it was my second choice) and find it to be not what i was looking for.

14. Dude...go for Peavey...when you find it totally fine after falling down a flight of stairs,you'll be thanking me:)

Actually...you should check the stairs,they could be F'd up;)

15. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    TNT= Louder.

TNT= Built like a rock

TNT= Good amp

TNT= 150w

TNT= 200w at 2ohms

TNT > Ampegb100r

TNT > Bassman100

I think you will be happier with the TNT. It is louder, and much more durable then the others.

16. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Ampeg B-100R, no doubt for me. This amp is incredible.

Go and pick up one
    Don't think
    I want you to obey

:D

17. I am a Peavey TNT owner along with Osama and Mike Money. But I have a much different view on my TNT. I can't wait to get rid of my TNT and get a real rig.
    They say the Peavey is a Tank... It is durable and can take a beating, but at the expence of being close to 85 pounds with only a wimpy strap on top to carry it.
    Sure it's loud and a workhouse, but don't expect to get a great deal of tone each and every time by fooling around with the EQ... it won't happen.
    There are better amps out there than the Peavey.

From what I've heard from Nemesis and SWR combos from fellow bass players, I would have bought either of those brands if I had known better.

Please check out Bass Player's old(1999) Combo Amp shootout online.
    If your dead-on sure about getting a 1x15 check out this link and try BP's top contenders at your local store.(their review on Peavey is dead on IMHO) Bass Player's combo shootout

Glenn

18. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    In the early 80's I had a TNT, along with my SR4. I could not keep it more than 2 months... Yes, I mean I didn't like it that much. But of course it's a very personal opinion.

19. steve2

steve2

Sep 23, 2001
    Piney Flats, TN
    Thanks everyone. Right now I will have to do some thinking. The nearest B100R is about 100 miles away. There is a local store that carries ampeg but he does not even know whar the B100R is. I spoke to him by phone and he was trying to sell me the Hartke 140 watt 15 inch combo. I know that Laney is not that highly recommended. Mine is 65 watts it has a 12 inch speaker and is 65 watts. (RBW 100) Would the Ampeg be a lot more powerful than it. I know that it should be better on tone.

I see some recommend the Ashdown I see they have a 150 12 inch. The yorville has a lot of watts for the money but seems they are mixed comments on them. The Peavey combo looks tempting at the price for what you get. 100 lbs. By the way for my music I play is mostly Gospel but I love playing Motown, and Blues. I love the Jamerson stuff. Yes I know the B100R would be right in line for the Motown stuff. I also play a Fender jazz with Flats.

Thanks for all of the inputs.

Steve

20. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    i play a laney myself, not one of the RBW's thank god, i played through an RBW 200 at a gig and i thought it was horrible, the tone from those things can only be described by using the word fart. On the other hand, my laney hcm65b has, IMO, fantastic tone for the money, its only good for playing at home and occasionally with a drummer and a turned down guitarist. But, anything would be better than the RBW.