Bass combo rig: EBS 2x10 combo, MB112 w/powered cab, Phil Jones BG 400 w/ C4 /powered cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ruler, May 29, 2018.

1. ruler

ruler

Nov 10, 2017
    Hey guys! I am getting ready to pull trigger on one of these.... I play 4 and 5 string electric bass and the 12 string Grand Chapman Stick. I play World/Jazz fusion Afro beat music mostly. Most gigs are moderate clubs, with occasional large outside venues. The Phil Jones appeals to me, because it has two channels and I could put both sides of the chapman stick (melody/bass) into the rig.... your comments would be most welcome! Thank you!

2. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2008
    Don't know all those rigs but I do have some EBS gear and a Chapman stick...

First of all, I suppose it depends on how you're planning on playing, but I find that a bass amp channel isn't the best amplification for the rhythm/melody strings of a Stick. It really wants something that behaves a bit more like a guitar amp, though a guitar pre-amp/effects section into a neutral power amp/speaker is just fine. Splitting my Stick between an EBS Drome for the bass strings and a Tech 21 Trademark 60 for the melody strings was a revelation.

Second, you don't mention whether the EBS 210 combo under discussion is an old Gorm or a new Magni. They all have pretty much the same pre-amp and EQ section, which is excellent, but the Gorms had a bit more power, but were lighter weight than the Magnis. For Stick, I'd go with EBS over GK, just because there's less of a "baked-in" sound, but the Magnis are heavy little suckers. I've never played through - indeed, never even touched - a Phil Jones rig, but on the basis of specs and reputaiton, I think it could be an amazing Stick amp.

3. ruler

ruler

Nov 10, 2017
    Thanks so much for your insights... Yeah, the GK sounds IS more baked-in. I have "tried" to like that sound, but never cared for it and did not know why. Your description sums it up. The EBS is the Magni. Currently, I am using a little GK MK112 ( not happy with it) and for the melody side is a Fishman 180 Performer, which I really like!!! Thanks again!

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021