1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass combo rig: EBS 2x10 combo, MB112 w/powered cab, Phil Jones BG 400 w/ C4 /powered cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ruler, May 29, 2018.

1. ruler

ruler

Nov 10, 2017
    Hey guys! I am getting ready to pull trigger on one of these.... I play 4 and 5 string electric bass and the 12 string Grand Chapman Stick. I play World/Jazz fusion Afro beat music mostly. Most gigs are moderate clubs, with occasional large outside venues. The Phil Jones appeals to me, because it has two channels and I could put both sides of the chapman stick (melody/bass) into the rig.... your comments would be most welcome! Thank you!

2. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2008
    Don't know all those rigs but I do have some EBS gear and a Chapman stick...

First of all, I suppose it depends on how you're planning on playing, but I find that a bass amp channel isn't the best amplification for the rhythm/melody strings of a Stick. It really wants something that behaves a bit more like a guitar amp, though a guitar pre-amp/effects section into a neutral power amp/speaker is just fine. Splitting my Stick between an EBS Drome for the bass strings and a Tech 21 Trademark 60 for the melody strings was a revelation.

Second, you don't mention whether the EBS 210 combo under discussion is an old Gorm or a new Magni. They all have pretty much the same pre-amp and EQ section, which is excellent, but the Gorms had a bit more power, but were lighter weight than the Magnis. For Stick, I'd go with EBS over GK, just because there's less of a "baked-in" sound, but the Magnis are heavy little suckers. I've never played through - indeed, never even touched - a Phil Jones rig, but on the basis of specs and reputaiton, I think it could be an amazing Stick amp.

3. ruler

ruler

Nov 10, 2017
    Thanks so much for your insights... Yeah, the GK sounds IS more baked-in. I have "tried" to like that sound, but never cared for it and did not know why. Your description sums it up. The EBS is the Magni. Currently, I am using a little GK MK112 ( not happy with it) and for the melody side is a Fishman 180 Performer, which I really like!!! Thanks again!