1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

BASS COMBO

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Calaverasgrande, May 21, 2011.

1. Looking for a second amp/combo that can do double duty as a backup bass amp as well as primary duty as an analog synth amp. If it matters I would be running a Moog Rogue to it.
    I play bass and keys at the same time.
    Yeah Geddy Lee eat your heart out.
    I have noticed the GK 400rb and 700rb combos. Though I rarely see them on CL.
    I would love to snatch up a MEsa buster combo. But those are also hard to find it seems.
    I suppose I want the impossible. An amp that can sound good when pushed when played with a bass, but still sound clear and solid when used for a synth that covers more bandwidth than a bass can possibly do.

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I use my Buster combo with analog synths all the time, sounds fantastic. Just keep looking for a used Buster, it'll be more than worth the wait. Otherwise, maybe an M6 combo, (2x12), or M3 (1x12). Both awesome with synthesizers. Worst case, a Roland KC 350, which also makes for a *decent* bass combo.

3. I amost scored a Buster combo that a church had up for sale. Thats the brass ring right?
    I still wonder who actually took delivery of that $500 gift from god.
    I would like to keep it in the family because I just love me some boogie. OTOH sometimes I feel like my next amp should be the anti-boogie. Something that sounds totally unlike my Bass 400. So I have more options.
    I am also considering just getting a good old 2x12 guitar combo for the synth. I do play guitar occasionally and it might be nice to have something between 5w (epi jr) and 250 watts (the Mesa Bass 400 makes a stupendous guitar amp!).
    There is an Ampeg VT40 at the local guitar store I have my eye on as well. 4x10 ,about 50 watts? Sounds nice, but heavy and expensive!

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I wouldn't play a synth through a guitar rig, but that's me. (it's the speakers that matter of course), but anyway, just my 2 cents.

5. Metal Bassist

Metal Bassist

Nov 6, 2010
    Wales, UK
    Whatever you buy, If your playing synth then you should upgrade the tweeters.

6. Quite a lot of my friends go that route. It works out well with fender twins and similar amps. Spring reverb sounds great on monosynths. Built in chorus on a jc120 is great. However you lose that gravitas that a beefier amp brings.

7. I am going to try and take a look at a Gibson/Moog Lab series L5. It's a 2x12 open back combo. But of course with Moog electronics for the EQ and compressor. They are also well knwn to be some of the most tube sounding solidstate amps.

8. Well I ended up getting a traynor YGL mk III guitar combo. I held out for a good bass combo but in the end my affection for all things tube trumped the practicality of a solid-state bass combo. It also seems like a lot of folks have unrealistically high expectations for the selling price of their gear on CL lately!