Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass, comics and wrestling.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Jumping_Bomb_Angel, Feb 10, 2006.

1. I just thought I would share an interesting observation about bass players.

As I have got to know different bass players in different bands here and there over the years, I have noticed a couple of things that we have all had in common.

1] Of course, love of the low end.

2] Comics - superheroes, marvel, DC. I used to carry comics around in my gig bag, I would get talking to another bassist at the gig, he would see me reading a comic and...lo and behold, he reads em too. This has happened mayber five times over the years.

3] A love of classic wrestling - not the WWE rubbish on now, but the 1984-1990 genre. Bassists my own age [im 34] grew up with Hogan, Andre, Savage, Honky Tonk Man etc. This is probably the more bizarre thing we had in common - I know mayber 5 other bassists who loved wrestling back then and still watch the classic stuff.

My question: Do any of you other bassists out there have comics and wrestling in common as well as bass playing?

2. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    Bass

Newspaper

Movies

The trilogy -- Sound, words, images.

3. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I used to read a few comics from DC's Vertigo line but was never really into mainstream comics. Swamp Thing, Transmetropolitan, Preacher, etc. Then I sold them all to finance a new rig. I ended up selling the rig a few months later just because it wasn't what I wanted.

I was wrestling fan of the 80's and early 90's. Then I grew up.

4. I used to read alot of Phantom comics. But i didnt find any others that interesting.

I hate the low end. NOT

And i used to watch oldskool wrastlin religiously as a youngin. (5-10 y.o) Hogan was my fave :p

5. whitedk57

whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC
    I agree on the love of the low end, but the similarities stop there...

6. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Hmm...I fit all of them.

As a kid I watched all of that wrestling.

I also collected the Transformers and GI Joe comics back in the 80's. Then in the 90's I switched to any/all of the X titles from Marvel, also Wolverine. My favorite character of all time though, The Silver Surfer!

I also love movies....have lots of DVD's and I would rather watch a movie than say any of the sitcoms or real life shows.

7. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    I still read comics. Wrestling....eh, not so much.

8. I'm almost the same.
    Bass--Obviously

Comics--Never got into them, but I love classic horror movies on a near-nerd level (I can resite pretty much every line from Texas Chainsaw Massacre)

Wrestling--I used to love the WWF when I was a kid, but graduated to the ECW. Once that went down, I just stopped watching.

9. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

well, classic wrestling and comics were probably widely popular with young boys when you grew up. so i doubt this is unique. if you liked custom staplers or something, and you met with other fans of high quality staplers who are your age, you could very well replace "bass" in with that in your list.

10. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Bass, sure, who wouldn't?!

I collected comics as a lad, but when I went to basic training, my mom let my nephew at my comics. I had some rare ones, too! :mad:

Wresting? Only if it involves naked women, small fluffy woodland creatures, and some sort of piefilling. :bag:

11. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

you recall which ones? :ninja:

12. Well,I don't read comics,but I do like wrestling,NOT NEW WWE!

Infact just a few hours ago I was reffing for one of the two companies I am in.

13. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Comics: Yes, oh god yes. When I was a kid I read every comic I could ('read' in quotes, I mostly just looked at the pictures and made up my own stories--even after I learned to read). My cousin had a bunch of them and I read them all over and over and over. Then my aunt threw them out (***, moms?!) so I sort of accrued my own modest collection, mostly DC, with a few older marvels that my brother had given me (Wolverine, Ghost Rider etc.). Then I got into music and it was either music or comics (I was on a limited budget plus had other hobbies such as old books about fighter planes, model planes, CCGs, model board games and Dungeon & Dragons--before you ask, yes I was a geek, but, no, I actually did end up going to both proms with very hot girls). I chose music, but now I'm getting back into comics, mostly indie stuff with a couple from Dark Horse and Vertigo. Good stuff.

As for wrestling, I'm not that into it, though I was when I was younger. My mom wouldn't let me watch it though, so I don't have many memories.

14. I still dig comics on a occasion- they were a pre-bass phase :D . Watchmen, Dark Knight Returns, and all 5 Hellboy trade paperbacks will always have their own spot on my bookshelf though.

And as a kid who always wished he could fly, reading Image's recent series "Invincible" is pretty sweet. I also love "Superman: Secret Identity."

As for wrestling: no dice. Guh.

15. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    Wrestling? No way. Now, womens roller derby, on the other hand...:D

16. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    1. Yup.

2. Not for quite a while now but yeah, when I was growing up I read lots of comics. Superman, Batman, the Flash, Green Lantern, JLA/JSA, Legion of Superheroes...tons.

3. Yup. And Jimmy Snuka, Dutch Savage, Rowdy Roddy Piper, Playboy Buddy Rose, Bull Ramos, etc....or is that too early for you?

:D

Joe.

17. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    You don't wait too long to answer a guy, do you? :D

18. EagleMoon

EagleMoon Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2007
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Love the comics but not the wrestling. :)

19. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Bass, yes. Wrestling, yes. Well until about 2003 or so.
    But I love the WWF Attitude era. Epic stuff, when I was in 4th grade.