1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass compression

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by relman, Jan 11, 2001.

1. Any suggestions on pedals/units? Please, try to keep under 150 bucks.

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    As much as I love my SansAmp Bass Driver DI, I can't recommend the Tech 21 Bass Compactor. Very noisy. Good bye.

3. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    One word: RNC
    Around $200 but worth the extra. This is a pro unit that is waaaaaaay better than anything else in the price range. Really.

4. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I just bought the ART LeVeLAr and I'm lovin' it :D.
    The best part is, it was less than $80!
    It is very easy to use - It took me about 2 minutes to get the sound I wanted. It also sounds great (IMO)!
    You may have heard/read others say that compressors are just good for adding noise, but this thing is DEAD QUIET.

Keep in mind that I just bought this compressor, and people love to rave about their new toys, so...
    ...Don't just take my word for how good this thing is - Check out these Harmony Central reviews.
    http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/Data/ART/Levelar_-01.html

There are 2 minor downsides to this compressor that don't really matter to me.
    1 - It is not a rackmount or a stompbox, so you'll have to find a good way to place it in your rig. (I just set mine on top of my rack case.)
    2 - It has a wall wart power supply. (No big deal.)

I was really surprised that I could get a compressor this good for less than $80 :D

[Edited by Slater on 01-12-2001 at 03:27 PM]

5. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    I'll throw in another vote for the FMR audio Really Nice Compressor (RNC). I think it's $189, direct from FMR. Totally transparent sound and very easy to use. It's a 1/3 rack unit.

6. bassmanjck

bassmanjck

Jan 12, 2001
    I've been using an Alesis Nanocompressor for about 2 years now. It's incredibly effective, and costs less than $100. It's a 1/3 rack unit, but it fits nicely on my pedalboard.