Bass compression

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by relman, Jan 11, 2001.

1. Any suggestions on pedals/units? Please, try to keep under 150 bucks.
  2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    As much as I love my SansAmp Bass Driver DI, I can't recommend the Tech 21 Bass Compactor. Very noisy. Good bye.
  3. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    One word: RNC
    Around $200 but worth the extra. This is a pro unit that is waaaaaaay better than anything else in the price range. Really.
  4. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I just bought the ART LeVeLAr and I'm lovin' it :D.
    The best part is, it was less than $80!
    It is very easy to use - It took me about 2 minutes to get the sound I wanted. It also sounds great (IMO)!
    You may have heard/read others say that compressors are just good for adding noise, but this thing is DEAD QUIET.

Keep in mind that I just bought this compressor, and people love to rave about their new toys, so...
    ...Don't just take my word for how good this thing is - Check out these Harmony Central reviews.

There are 2 minor downsides to this compressor that don't really matter to me.
    1 - It is not a rackmount or a stompbox, so you'll have to find a good way to place it in your rig. (I just set mine on top of my rack case.)
    2 - It has a wall wart power supply. (No big deal.)

I was really surprised that I could get a compressor this good for less than $80 :D

[Edited by Slater on 01-12-2001 at 03:27 PM]
  5. oddentity

oddentity Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    I'll throw in another vote for the FMR audio Really Nice Compressor (RNC). I think it's $189, direct from FMR. Totally transparent sound and very easy to use. It's a 1/3 rack unit.
  6. bassmanjck

Jan 12, 2001
    I've been using an Alesis Nanocompressor for about 2 years now. It's incredibly effective, and costs less than $100. It's a 1/3 rack unit, but it fits nicely on my pedalboard.