Bass concept: pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Will H, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Will H

Will H

May 23, 2017
    Hi guys! So I was thinking of a concept for a bass, and I was wondering how looser sounding pickups sound with tighter sounding ones. I was gonna use the nordstrand bigman 4 in the bridge position, and the nordstrand nm4 in the neck position. I know they don't actually go together that well because they're for different styles of music but I kind of want something that will accommodate the variety of music I play (funk, jazz, blues, punk, grunge, some rap and musicals).

2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

If you want to buy two from Nordstrand, ask them.
    They will probably suggest something to get you a wide variety of sounds.

There's even a Nordstrand representative here on TB, but I can't recall their user ID.

3. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    There’s no pickup that I know of that is style-specific. Why wouldn’t they go together? Maybe they wouldn’t, but it also depends on actual implantation/execution. The concern might be string spacing?

Unless you are exploring or know for sure what pickup combination you want, I’d choose a set that’s known to work, like jazz or DCs. Personally, if I was doing a custom bass, I’d probably pick something in soapbar shape, just because there’s a ton of replacement options if I wasn’t happy with my first choice.

4. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    What are tighter and looser pickups?

line6man, 40Hz and Killed_by_Death like this.
  5. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

May 24, 2006
    home
    Yeah. What is that all about?

line6man likes this.
  6. PawleeP

PawleeP

Oct 8, 2012
    East Coast
    you heard the man, start with soapbars!

7. Slater